Oven-Braised Black-Eyed Peas with Indian Spices
- 8 ounces dried black-eyed peas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cups water
- 2 chilies, chopped, heat level of your choice
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped into ¼-inch dice
- Pour peas onto a rimmed half sheet baking pan and pick out stones, debris and off-looking peas. Pour peas into a bowl and cover with water. Swish the peas, then pour off most of the water. Refill with water to cover peas by one inch and leave to soak for a few hours or overnight. Add water, if needed.
- When ready to cook, put a Dutch oven on the cooktop over medium heat and pour in oil. Add cumin seeds, garlic and ginger and stir for a minute. Add dry seasonings – salt, cayenne, turmeric and garam masala. Cook over medium heat for five minutes. If mixture is too dry, add a spoonful of water. Turn up the heat and add onions and chilies.
- Add peas and water and bring to a boil. Heat oven to 300°. Place Dutch oven in real oven at 300° for at least one hour. Check liquid level occasionally. Peas should be done after an hour, but can continue to cook at low heat for several hours — be sure to check the liquid level and replenish with water as needed.