NFL fines Favre $50,000 for “failure to cooperate”

Commissioner "could not conclude" that star quarterback violated league's personal conduct rules in sexting case

Topics: Sexting,

The NFL has fined Brett Favre $50,000 for a “failure to cooperate” with the investigation into allegations he sent inappropriate messages and lewd photos to a former New York Jets game-day hostess.

The league says Commissioner Roger Goodell “could not conclude” that Favre violated the league’s personal conduct policy based on the evidence currently available.

The league’s statement also says Goodell determined Favre was “not candid in several respects during the investigation resulting in a longer review and additional negative public attention for Favre, (Jenn) Sterger and the NFL.” The league’s investigation began in October and the fine was announced Wednesday.

Favre allegedly sent messages and photos to Sterger two years ago when they were both with the Jets. The allegations against the 41-year-old Minnesota Vikings quarterback surfaced on the website Deadspin.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.

NEW YORK (AP) — Brett Favre will be fined but not suspended for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy after the league’s investigation into allegations he sent inappropriate messages and lewd photos to a former New York Jets game hostess, The Associated Press has learned.

A person familiar with the decision says the league plans to announce its decision within the next 48 hours. The person spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the NFL had not yet released its decision.

The person did not specify what the league found in its investigation.

The punishment was first reported by Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer.

Favre allegedly sent the messages and photos to Jenn Sterger two years ago when they were both with the Jets. The allegations against the 41-year-old Minnesota Vikings quarterback surfaced in October on the website Deadspin.

It posted a video Oct. 7 that included text messages and voicemails allegedly left by the quarterback for Sterger, including one in which he invites her to his hotel. The video ends with several below-the belt photos — said to be of Favre — which were allegedly sent to Sterger.

A former model who also appeared on the Versus television network, Sterger refused to speak on the record to the website. Weeks after the story broke, she talked with league investigators and cooperated fully, according to her manager.

Deadspin editor in chief A.J. Daulerio acknowledged paying a third party for the material it posted on Favre and said that he could not guarantee the material was genuine. Deadspin also reported that Favre pursued two female massage therapists who worked part-time for the Jets, according to one of the women, who spoke anonymously to the website.

Citing unidentified sources, Fox Sports reported earlier that Favre admitted to NFL investigators that he left the voicemails but denied sending the inappropriate photos.

A three-time league MVP, Favre has consistently refused to answer reporters’ questions about the allegations. He said early on that he had enough to worry about with the Vikings’ next opponent, and that’s certainly been true this season.

Convinced to come back for one more run at a title by three Minnesota teammates who flew down to see him in Mississippi, Favre’s second year with the Vikings has been nothing like the charmed run of last season, which ended with a heartbreaking loss to New Orleans in the NFC championship game.

Ever since he threw a critical interception in that game, things haven’t been the same for Favre on the field. He’s now the 30th-rated passer in the NFL, just ahead of Jimmy Clausen and Derek Anderson, having thrown 19 interceptions after tossing just seven last season.

Favre also has been battered with injuries to his ankle, chin, ribs, back and shoulder — the last of which ended his NFL record for consecutive starts at 297 three weeks ago. A crushing hit he took against the Buffalo Bills sprained his throwing shoulder and kept him out of the following game, a Vikings loss to the New York Giants.

He surprisingly started last week against the Bears, but was knocked out in the second quarter with a concussion and missed Tuesday’s victory over Philadelphia.

Despite all his troubles, Favre has said all along that he did not regret coming back for a 20th NFL season.

“If you had seasons like you did last year, every year, I don’t think you would appreciate them nearly as much,” said Favre, who has said this season will be his last — though he has retired and unretired before.

The Vikings finish the season at Detroit on Sunday, and interim coach Leslie Frazier said Favre would start the game if he is healthy.

Next Article

Related Stories

Featured Slide Shows

The week in 10 pics

close X
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11
  • This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
    Reuters/Jason Reed

  • Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
    AP/A.M. Ahad

  • Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
    AP/Elise Amendola

  • Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
    AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani

  • Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
    AP/Manish Swarup

  • Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
    AP/Jeff Roberson

  • Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
    AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel

  • Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
    AP/Liu Yinghua

  • On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
    AP/Rogelio V. Solis

  • The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
    AP/David J. Phillip

  • Recent Slide Shows

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11

Comments

10 Comments

Comment Preview

Your name will appear as username

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href=""> <b> <em> <strong> <i> <blockquote>