Today's catch: Young adults use phone to avoid talking to you, the Muppets' "Green Album," and more TSA profiling
1. Album of the day: You must, must, must listen to “The Green Album,” a compilation of artists ranging from Andrew Bird to Weezer and OK Go covering the hits of Muppets. You can stream it all here, or read the full story at NPR.
2. Obvious fact of the day: A new study by the Pew Institute reveals that “30 percent of adults 18-29 have pretended to be on the phone in order to avoid human interaction.” The other 70 percent are either playing Angry Birds or sexting, no duh.
You know what? I’m starting to feel bad for Doug Hutchison, creepy old guy that he is.
4. Empty threat of the day: “Gossip Girl’s” Taylor Momsen has quit acting, “hopefully for the rest of (her) life.” Of course, in order for this to be a legitimate news story, we’d have to have some evidence that Momsen ever participated in any sort of “acting” in the first place.
5. Registered TSA complaint today: Another one to add to the pile: The New York Times reports on the alleged rise of African-American women being targeted by airport security for hair pat-downs.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11