Uganda’s outrage over Kony 2012
Government officials denounce the viral video as false, cruel and neocolonialist
By Jocelyn EdwardsTopics: GlobalPost, Joseph Kony, Africa, News
In this Nov. 12, 2006 file photo, the leader of the Lord's Resistance Army, Joseph Kony answers journalists' questions following a meeting with UN humanitarian chief Jan Egeland at Ri-Kwamba in southern Sudan (Credit: AP Photo/Stuart Price, File, Pool)KAMPALA, Uganda — Kony 2012 may have received more than 73 million hits on YouTube since its release on the internet on March 5.
Top Ugandan officials denounce the video — created to raise awareness about Joseph Kony, the leader of the brutal Lord’s Resistance Army operating in central Africa — as false. Kony’s LRA, they say, has not operated in Uganda for years.
Other Ugandans slam the video as the work of privileged young foreigners. Critics around the world have been vociferous, too. But most Ugandans have not even seen the Kony 2012 video, produced by the American NGO Invisible Children, because the internet is not widely accessible.
Among those who haven’t seen it, but are still outspokenly critical is Pius Bigirimana, who is in charge of the reconstruction of northern Uganda from the devastation of the LRA.
“Anybody portraying Uganda to still have insecurity is a sadist. That person is a liar and is peddling falsehoods,” said Bigirimana.
In Uganda, Kony “is of no consequence. He is a peripheral issue,” said Bigirimana, the permanent secretary in the prime minister’s office. “It’s some of these people from outside who get excited over these things.”
Many have criticized the campaign for misrepresenting the situation in Uganda, implying that conflict with the LRA is still being fought.
President Yoweri Museveni’s government urged “that any awareness campaign fully takes into consideration the current realities of the situation.”
“Misinterpretations of media content may lead some people to believe that the LRA is currently active in Uganda. It must be clarified that at present the LRA is not active in any part of Uganda,” said the government statement.
The Lord’s Resistance Army was expelled from Uganda six years ago and has been reduced to a force of about 300 fighters now operating in South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and the Central African Republic (CAR), the government statement said.
The LRA is currently being pursued by the Ugandan army with the support of 100 US military advisors deployed late last year. U.S. President Barack Obama sent the team last year to help hunt Kony and the LRA to achieve stability in the volatile region. Commitment by Ugandan and Congo militaries is crucial to stopping Kony’s mobile militias, according to the International Crisis Group.
Betty Ocan, a member of parliament for the town of Gulu, where Invisible Children bases its operations in Uganda, said she had only seen a short clip of the film on international television news.
The LRA is no longer high on her constituents’ agenda, she said.
“For the people of northern Uganda, it’s not so much a priority,” Ocan said. “Most of the time, the people will say, ‘The most pressing thing for us right now is that we want our children to go to school.’”
Ugandans displaced by the war against Kony’s LRA are also worried about resettlement and getting compensation from the government for property lost, Ocan said.
For the people of northern Uganda who suffered because of the LRA’s violence, the film is a historical document, according to Ocan.
“The people of northern Uganda know that this was just a documentary which was taken during the bad times,” said the member of parliament. “Some people say that it reminds them of the past, so they do not like it so much.”
“If (Westerners) watch it, they should think about the impact (of the war). They are watching something that is past. Kony has not made it back to Uganda since 2006.”
Despite the fact that Kony is no longer a factor in Uganda, Ocan added that the people of northern Uganda remain concerned for the welfare of populations where the militia is still active.
“We feel bad if the people of (other countries) are suffering because of Kony. We don’t want people to suffer.”
The film, which features extensive footage of Invisible Children’s founder and other — mostly white — activists campaigning against the LRA in the United States, has also been criticized as neo-colonialist.
“If a film comes along and successfully empowers foreigners, many of them young people, to claim the right to do as they please in Africa — whether it is worthy or not — I can see why (Africans) would take offense,” said Angelo Izama, an award-winning journalist and Ugandan political analyst.
“It’s an unvarnished reminder that outsiders still have more power to change things if they choose,” Izama said.
Invisible Children has posted a statement in reply to critics on its website. In response to the charge that the film suggests the war is still ongoing in Uganda the group emphasizes its work in countries where the LRA is currently active.
“Since the LRA left Uganda in 2006, Invisible Children has been publicly denouncing their atrocities in DR Congo, South Sudan, and the Central African Republic (CAR), while continuing to work with now-peaceful communities in post-conflict northern Uganda,” reads the statement.
“KONY 2012 portrays, in no uncertain terms, the image of a madman who manipulates children spiritually for his own tactical gains,” the group’s website states. “In a 30-minute film, however, many nuances of the 26-year conflict are admittedly lost or overlooked.”
More GlobalPost
-
Kony 2012 media coverage: Roundup
Invisible Children’s viral campaign to stop Joseph Kony has garnered a lot of media coveragePriyanka Boghani March 9, 2012 -
Kony 2012: 4 things you can do
Here are practical steps you can take to help stop Joseph KonySasha Lezhnev March 9, 2012
Related Stories
More Related Stories
-
Must-see morning clip: Veterans still waiting for medical benefits
-
Jobs report: Unemployment rate falls to 7.5 percent
-
Obama "comfortable with" FDA decision allowing girls 15 and up to buy Plan B
-
Hagel: Arming Syrian rebels is an option
-
How shoppers can help prevent Bangladesh-type disasters
-
Bangladesh official: Disaster is "not really serious"
-
Rhode Island legalizes gay marriage
-
Bombing suspects originally plotted July 4 attack
-
Assata Shakur first woman named on FBI most wanted list
-
Georgia town allegedly diverting sewage to black neighborhood
-
Pic of the day: World Trade Center reborn
-
Hacker steals sensitive infrastructure data from U.S. military
-
Shots fired at Houston airport
-
Howard Kurtz and the Daily Beast "part ways" after Jason Collins error
-
Dutch police may get right to hack into computers
-
U.S. calls for amnesty of American prisoner in North Korea
-
Maryland bans the death penalty
-
Why conservatives should support immigration equality
-
6 insidious ways you're getting ripped off
-
Fracking ourselves to death in Pennsylvania
-
Americans to government: Hands off our civil liberties
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 pics
close X- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
-
This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
Reuters/Jason Reed -
Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
AP/A.M. Ahad -
Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
AP/Elise Amendola -
Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani -
Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
AP/Manish Swarup -
Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
AP/Jeff Roberson -
Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel -
Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
AP/Liu Yinghua -
On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
AP/Rogelio V. Solis -
The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
AP/David J. Phillip -
Recent Slide Shows
-
The week in 10 pics
-
"Arrested Development" character posters
-
Photos of the Boston manhunt
-
Newspaper headlines covering the Boston explosion
-
- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
Related Videos
Salon is proud to feature content from GlobalPost, an awarding-winning international news site that focuses on original reporting from journalists stationed around the world. GlobalPost combines traditional journalistic values with the power of new media to offer a fresh perspective on global developments.
Most Read
-
71 names so awful New Zealand had to ban them
Kyle Kim, GlobalPost
-
"This could be a career ender for Michele Bachmann"
Alex Seitz-Wald
-
He made me his drug mule
Alix Wall
-
Ted Cruz will never be president
Joan Walsh
-
Claire Messud to Publishers Weekly: "What kind of question is that?"
David Daley
-
Pictures of people who mock me
Haley Morris-Cafiero
-
Is Michael Pollan a sexist pig?
Emily Matchar
-
How conspiracists think
Sander van der Linden, Scientific American
-
Bush cancels Europe trip amid calls for his arrest
Justin Elliott
-
"Star Trek's" Wil Wheaton tells newborn girl why being a nerd "is awesome"
Prachi Gupta
Popular on Reddit
links from salon.com

26 points27 points28 points | 3 comments



Comments
35 Comments