CHICAGO (AP) — Longtime Democratic U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. of Illinois has handily won the nomination against former Congresswoman Debbie Halvorson.
Halvorson was Jackson’s first credible Democratic challenger since the son of the civil rights leader first won office in 1995. She lost a congressional bid to a tea party candidate in 2010 in another district and is also a former state legislator.
The primary fight in the 2nd Congressional District was among the most contentious of the Illinois primary.
The newly redrawn 2nd District extends to include parts of Halvorson’s old legislative and congressional districts. It includes Chicago neighborhoods, south suburbs and beyond Kankakee. It is largely Democratic.
Longtime U.S. Rep. Don Manzullo also faced a tough challenge in the 16th District against fellow Republican Congressman Adam Kinzinger.
More Related Stories
- If Alex Pareene was a cable news executive...
- Portland's senseless war on fluoride
- Graphic video reportedly shows possible London machete attack suspect
- What economists get wrong about the jobs crisis
- Ted Cruz: "I don't trust the Republicans"
- Pa. governor "can't find" any Latinos to work in his administration
- Glenn Beck: "The American people have just been raped"
- "Original Coca-Cola had a very small amount of cocaine"
- Corporations accused of wrongdoing win battle to keep identities secret
- Weak, incompetent Democrats blow another one
- Lois Lerner, IRS disaster
- Cyber attacks could cause the next world war
- Donald Rumsfeld worried that marriage equality will lead to polygamy
- Experts: Fox News spying scandal a game-changer
- Biden cracks Obama teleprompter joke
- IRS official takes the Fifth: "I have not done anything wrong"
- Lessons from Lincoln leave gay immigrants behind
- Los Angeles elects first Jewish mayor
- Peter King: There's "hypocrisy" over aid by Oklahoma senators
- Anthony Weiner announces run for NYC mayor
- How policy nihilists in the Senate doomed LGBT immigrants
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11