LONDON (AP) — Prime Minister David Cameron’s friendships with two suspects at the heart of Britain’s phone hacking scandal will come under spotlight this week in what may be some uncomfortable hours for the country’s conservative leader.
Two former editors of the scandal-tarred News of the World tabloid — Rebekah Brooks, Cameron’s friend and neighbor, and Andy Coulson, his former communications chief — are expected to take the stand Thursday and Friday at a British inquiry into media ethics.
The inquiry is examining the often too-cozy relationship between British politicians and the country’s press.
Speculation is rife about what the pair will reveal about their relations with Cameron and his Conservative Party, whose popularity is already at a low amid economic uncertainty and unrest from grass-roots activists.
Last week, the Daily Telegraph’s chief political commentator, Peter Oborne, said he’d been told that Brooks had “retained the text messages she received from the prime minister, which I’m told could exceed a dozen a day.”
“These may now be published,” he said. “A horrible thought.”
Oborne, whose paper has close ties to the Conservative Party, did not immediately return an email seeking additional information. But his account of text-swapping was backed up by a front-page story in The Times of London on Wednesday that spoke of a supportive message sent by Cameron to Brooks before her resignation in July.
The Times, citing an updated biography written by political journalists Francis Elliott and James Hanning, said Cameron had written to Brooks asking her to stay strong as the scandal over her paper’s illegal behavior was raging around her. Days later, Brooks resigned from her post as CEO of Rupert Murdoch’s News International unit and has since been arrested on suspicion of phone hacking and obstruction of justice.
Both she and Coulson deny any wrongdoing.
The Times, which is published by News International, did not provide direct quotes of any part of the text message and a publicist for Elliott and Hanning did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
Still, the possibility that a trove of embarrassing texts could soon hit the Internet is buzzing around London.
Kelvin MacKenzie, a former editor with Murdoch’s The Sun newspaper, predicted that, if published, the texts could be potentially fatal to Cameron’s career.
“Considering what might be in this correspondence, I asked (betting shop) Ladbrokes to give me odds on Cameron not being prime minister by the end of November,” he wrote in his column in the Daily Mail newspaper. He claimed to have bet 1,000 pounds (about $1,600) on the 10-to-1 odds he was given.
Cameron has already been embarrassed by his relationship to Brooks, particularly over the fact that he used to go riding on a police horse lent to the former tabloid editor in the well-to-do Oxfordshire area of Chipping Norton. Opponents have seized on the equine episode as symbolic of the intimate links between Britain’s police, press and politicians.
Opposition leader Ed Miliband wasted little time ribbing Cameron on the expected revelations in their weekly debate Wednesday in Britain’s House of Commons.
“He hired the editor, he sent the texts, he even rode the horse!” Miliband said.
Brooks and Coulson will be testifying before Lord Justice Brian Leveson, who is leading an inquiry to sift through the fallout of the hacking scandal, which has rocked Britain’s establishment and rattled Murdoch’s News Corp. with revelations of widespread journalistic malpractice at the News of the World.
The inquiry has heard from reporters, police and public figures about the misdeeds of the country’s media to understand why nothing was done to stop the phone hacking for so long.
Earlier Wednesday, the inquiry heard that local British police suspected more than 10 years ago that a missing schoolgirl’s phone had been hacked by people associated with the News of the World.
Police lawyer Neil Garnham said at least one officer with southern England’s Surrey Police believed in April 2002 that missing girl Milly Dowler’s phone had been hacked — the latest example of police’s failure to investigate the rogue tabloid.
Victims’ lawyer David Sherborne said Wednesday that many phone hacking victims might have been spared “if Surrey Police had prosecuted this activity in 2002.”
He quoted Milly’s parents as blaming “police neglect” and police deference to the nation’s powerful press for the lack of action.
Last year’s revelation that the News of the World had violated the privacy of the 13-year-old Milly, whose disappearance had drawn national attention, ignited the scandal. That prompted the paper’s closure and lead to dozens of arrests, more than 100 lawsuits and hundreds of millions of pounds (dollars) in legal costs for New York-based News Corp.
More Related Stories
- Here come the tornado truthers. Already
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Moore officials: Funds for "safe rooms" were held up by red tape
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Rescue crews race to find tornado survivors
- Looting in Oklahoma?
- Hundreds of low-wage federally contracted workers strike in D.C.
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Watch: Family emerges from storm shelter after tornado
- Must-see morning clip: Barackalypse Now
- Okla. tornado survivor reunited with dog trapped in rubble live on camera
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Oklahoma death count confirmed at 24, 9 children
- Frantic parents search for children in tornado's wake
- Crews dig through rubble after deadly tornado
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Lisa Montgomery embraces her nephew Thursday after a tornado tore apart her home in Cleburne, Texas. The twister killed six people and destroyed entire swaths of the North Texas town.
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Jack McMahon, the defense attorney for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, speaks outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia Tuesday. His client was convicted of killing three babies in his clinic, and will serve multiple life sentences.
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
A photo taken Monday captures Vice President Joe Biden's response to a Milwaukee second-grader's innovative proposal to end America's epidemic of gun violence. This guy!
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., flanked by a grouper-eyed Michele Bachmann, addresses the IRS' admission that it targeted Tea Party groups in advance of the 2012 election. In an op-ed for CNN Thursday, the Kentucky senator slammed the president for his faux outrage.
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Ousted IRS chief Steven Miller is sworn in on Capitol Hill Friday. Miller testified before the House Ways and Means Committee on the extra scrutiny the agency gave conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Attorney General Eric Holder pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday. Holder is under fire, among other things, for the Justice Department's gathering of phone records at the Associated Press.
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
O.J. Simpson sits during an evidentiary hearing at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday. Simpson, who is currently serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in state prison for armed robbery and kidnapping, is using a writ of habeas corpus to seek a new trial.
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Major Tom to ground control: On Sunday astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded the first music video from space, a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
When it rains it pours. President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inexplicably inspiring an #umbrellagate Twitter meme.
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
A smoke plume rises high above a road block at the intersection of County A and Ross Road east of Solon Springs, Wis., Tuesday. No injuries were reported, but the the wildfire caused evacuations across northwestern Wisconsin.
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11