FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — A Flagstaff, Ariz., man who is suing the city is now its mayor.
The Arizona Daily Sun reports (http://bit.ly/JrL3zQ ) 63-year-old Jerry Nabours was elected mayor Tuesday night.
The retired attorney beat City Councilman Al White by 320 votes in the vote-by-mail election.
With more than 10,000 votes cast, turnout was about 39 percent.
Nabours says his victory is a validation of his conservative fiscal vision for Flagstaff. He has criticized White’s policies as a waste of taxpayer money as well as the city’s public-private partnerships.
Nabours is suing Flagstaff over an ordinance that requires property owners to pay for repairs of city-owned sidewalks. He initiated the suit in 2009 after receiving a $5,000 bill for a sidewalk in front of an apartment building he co-owns.
The case is awaiting review in the Arizona Supreme Court.
Information from: Arizona Daily Sun, http://www.azdailysun.com/
More Related Stories
- Developers evict historic women's shelter to build luxury hotel
- Kaitlyn Hunt refuses plea offer, will go to court over high school relationship
- The secrets of cicada survival
- Nobody "needs" to rape
- Catholic Church in market for more exorcists
- Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food
- Louie Gohmert: Women should be forced to carry nonviable pregnancies to term
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Boy Scouts to members: Just don't be a gay adult
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- My text blew up in my face
- Boy Scouts end ban on openly gay boys
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
- "Bookless library" set to open in Texas
- Man arrested for sending Craigslist sex party to neighbor's house
- Greek yogurt, toxic waste hazard?
- Glenn Beck: CNN interview with atheist tornado survivor was a setup!
- Incoming BBC news director on journalism gender gap: "We can do better"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11