COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Federal officials have investigated questionable campaign contributions to two Ohio officeholders, U.S. Rep. James Renacci (reh-NAY’-see) and state treasurer and U.S. Senate candidate Josh Mandel (man-DEHL’).
Spokesmen for the two confirmed Monday they had been contacted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Renacci’s spokesman says questioning centered on direct-marketing magnate Benjamin Suarez. The (Toledo) Blade reported in August that Suarez and 16 employees and spouses from Canton-based Suarez Corporation Industries gave donations totaling $100,000 each to Renacci and Mandel.
Federal campaign finance law prohibits a donor from contributing in someone else’s name. Corporations also are prohibited from awarding bonuses or other rewards to employees in exchange for political contributions. The company has said the employees gave freely and weren’t compensated.
A message left Monday with Suarez’s attorney was not immediately returned.
More Related Stories
- If Alex Pareene was a cable news executive...
- Portland's senseless war on fluoride
- Graphic video reportedly shows possible London machete attack suspect
- What economists get wrong about the jobs crisis
- Ted Cruz: "I don't trust the Republicans"
- Pa. governor "can't find" any Latinos to work in his administration
- Glenn Beck: "The American people have just been raped"
- "Original Coca-Cola had a very small amount of cocaine"
- Corporations accused of wrongdoing win battle to keep identities secret
- Weak, incompetent Democrats blow another one
- Lois Lerner, IRS disaster
- Cyber attacks could cause the next world war
- Donald Rumsfeld worried that marriage equality will lead to polygamy
- Experts: Fox News spying scandal a game-changer
- Biden cracks Obama teleprompter joke
- IRS official takes the Fifth: "I have not done anything wrong"
- Lessons from Lincoln leave gay immigrants behind
- Los Angeles elects first Jewish mayor
- Peter King: There's "hypocrisy" over aid by Oklahoma senators
- Anthony Weiner announces run for NYC mayor
- How policy nihilists in the Senate doomed LGBT immigrants
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11