Oakland police, ATF nab 90 suspects in operation

Topics: From the Wires,

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Law enforcement officials said Tuesday that nearly 100 guns and dozens of violent criminals have been taken off the streets of Oakland as part of an ongoing multiagency crackdown involving undercover federal and local officers.

Proclaiming that “the worst of the worst offenders” are behind bars, authorities announced their results from a four-month joint effort, dubbed “Operation Gideon III.”

Special agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Oakland police and other agencies nabbed 90 people who face federal and state charges and seized 92 firearms as well as several kilograms of methamphetamine, marijuana and crack cocaine. The arrests started in February.

U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag said during a news conference Tuesday that she hoped the arrests send a strong message to repeat violent offenders.

“We are watching,” Haag said. “We will find you, we will prosecute you and you will be removed from the community.”

Haag also thanked the officers who took down those “who embraced violence and who carried guns in the way most of us carry cellphones.”

Known as one of the most violent cities in America, Oakland’s “Operation Gideon” is similar to crackdowns conducted in Phoenix and San Diego.

In Oakland, those facing federal charges include conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute narcotics, attempting to interfere with interstate commerce through robbery, unlawful dealing in firearms and assaulting federal agents. Those facing state charges include illegal possession of drugs and guns and probation violations.

Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan said Tuesday that discussions about a local-federal partnership began nearly two years ago, but intensified, especially after three little boys were among the city’s 110 homicides, last year.

Carlos “Carlito” Nava, 3, was gunned down while being pushed in a stroller by his mother in August.

In December, Hiram Lawrence was taken off life support after being shot in the head while in his father’s arms during the filming of a rap video. He died nearly three weeks shy of his second birthday.

Three weeks later, 5-year-old Gabriel Martinez, Jr., was shot and killed near his father’s food truck.

Jordan said he and police brass implored Mayor Jean Quan to seek federal help as Congresswoman Barbara Lee, D-Oakland, also got involved in meetings with federal law enforcement leaders in Washington, D.C.

“All recognized that in order to make a difference, we need to work together,” Jordan said. “We have a commitment.”

Scot Thomasson, an acting special agent in charge for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said that seasoned ATF agents from across the country came to work with local authorities to help combat crime in the operation’s initial wave.

Jordan and Thomasson both said the collaboration will continue indefinitely.

Jordan said the operation has taken a powerful first step as Oakland has seen a 49 percent drop in violent crime between April and May. He said homicides have decreased from 14 in April to 5 in May, so far.

Next Article

Related Stories

Featured Slide Shows

The week in 10 pics

close X
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11
  • This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
    Reuters/Jason Reed

  • Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
    AP/A.M. Ahad

  • Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
    AP/Elise Amendola

  • Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
    AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani

  • Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
    AP/Manish Swarup

  • Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
    AP/Jeff Roberson

  • Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
    AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel

  • Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
    AP/Liu Yinghua

  • On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
    AP/Rogelio V. Solis

  • The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
    AP/David J. Phillip

  • Recent Slide Shows

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11

Comments are not enabled for this story.