NEW YORK (AP) — Karl Lagerfeld couldn’t be more pleased with his latest creation: Drew Barrymore’s wedding gown.
The 78-year-old Chanel designer described the pleated muslin and organza dress with a ruffled collar as “perfect” for the pregnant bride.
“I love her. She’s great,” said Lagerfeld Wednesday at the opening of an exhibit celebrating Chanel’s signature Little Black Jacket that was curated by Lagerfeld and former French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld.
Barrymore, 37, married art consultant Will Kopelman on June 2 at her Montecito, Calif., home.
Lagerfeld says he’s known Kopelman, the son of former Chanel CEO Arie Kopelman, since he was a child.
He said he and Barrymore tried several options before settling on the custom gown featuring feathers, embroidered flowers and a black satin belt.
His advice for dressing up with a baby bump?
“Be comfortable, even in the wedding dress,” he said.
Some of Lagerfeld’s other celebrity friends, including Linda Evangelista, joined him at the SoHo gallery event that also launched his new book. “The Little Black Jacket: Chanel’s Classic Revisited by Karl Lagerfeld and Carine Roitfeld” features men, women and children wearing the classic piece in creative ways, seeing the jacket transformed into a head wrap or miniskirt.
For one photo, Kanye West poses casually in a version of the jacket with a T-shirt and jeans, while in another Sarah Jessica Parker wears a crown and lets the jacket playfully billow behind her head.
Nicole Evatt covers entertainment for The Associated Press. Follow her on Twitter at http://twitter.com/NicoleEvatt
More Related Stories
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Steamy lesbian-sex movie has Cannes abuzz
- Stop what you're doing and go watch "Borgen"
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Is the anti-gay backlash on?
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11