Topics: From the Wires
ANCASTER, Ontario (AP) — Robert Garrigus broke the 54-hole scoring record at the Canadian Open that was set more than a half-century ago by Arnold Palmer.
His next job is to finish like the King.
On rain-softened greens that took the bite out of Hamilton Golf & Country Club, Garrigus used his power and some timely putts Saturday for a 6-under 64 that gave him a one-shot lead over William McGirt, who lost ground with a 66.
Garrigus was at 16-under 194, one shot better than Palmer in 1955 at Weston Golf & Country Club, and matched two years ago by Dean Wilson at St. George’s Golf & Country Club.
Palmer went on to win in 1955 for the first of his 62 PGA Tour titles. Garrigus will be going for his second.
More Related Stories
- How I ended up in a pyramid scheme
- My bipolar partner beat me
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Teenagers care more about online privacy than you think
- The Maker kids are alright
- If Alex Pareene was a cable news executive...
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- Portland's senseless war on fluoride
- Graphic video reportedly shows possible London machete attack suspect
- El Salvador court delays ruling on abortion case while woman's life hangs in the balance
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- UK officials: Radical Islam behind London attack
- What economists get wrong about the jobs crisis
- Kicked out of the mall -- for an anti-cancer hat
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Ted Cruz: "I don't trust the Republicans"
- Why do men pretend to be women online?
- Hickenlooper strikes major blow to death penalty
- Pa. governor "can't find" any Latinos to work in his administration
- Glenn Beck: "The American people have just been raped"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11