NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks that moved substantially or traded heavily Monday on the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq Stock Market:
Sears Holdings Corp., up $2.94 at $54.36
The department store chain is moving forward with plans to spin off its Hometown and Outlet stores into a seperate public company.
Tesoro Corp., up $3.37 at $38.87
The oil refiner is buying BP’s refinery in Carson, Calif., and the oil company’s other West Coast assets for $2.5 billion in cash.
Taro Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., down $1.46 at $39.51
The drugmaker agreed to a sweetened $580.6 million buyout offer from Sun Pharmaceutical, paving the way for it to be taken private.
Campbell Soup Co., up $1.04 at $34.35
A Goldman Sachs analyst upgraded her rating on the soup seller to “Buy,” citing the company’s plans to turn its business around.
Ruby Tuesday Inc., up 27 cents at $6.72
The restaurant chain said that it named F. Lane Cardwell and Jeffrey O’Neill to its board. Both have restaurant industry experience.
Elan Corp. PLC, up 50 cents at $11.60
The drugmaker said it plans to spin off its discovery-science and neotope biosciences operations, creating two public companies.
Pervasive Software Inc., up $1.52 at $8.07
The data management company’s rival, Actian, said that it wants to buy it in a deal worth about $139.4 million in cash.
Focus Media Holding Ltd., up $2.07 at $25.45
The digital media company said it received a proposal from a group of investors to take it private, valuing it at $3.49 billion.
More Related Stories
- DHS admits "impossible" to control 3D-printed guns
- Kaitlyn Hunt refuses plea offer, will go to court over high school relationship
- Journalists file suit against Manning trial secrecy
- Russia: Syrian regime ready to talk peace
- Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food
- Ted Cruz against the world
- Louie Gohmert: Women should be forced to carry nonviable pregnancies to term
- 2 men arrested for endangering commercial aircraft
- Oversized load blamed for bridge collapse
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Iran hackers aiming at U.S. energy firms
- Lawyers release data in attempt to discredit Trayvon Martin
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Bridge collapse: Part of "aging infrastructure"
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Interstate 5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- UK Military: London attack victim was a "model soldier"
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Lisa Montgomery embraces her nephew Thursday after a tornado tore apart her home in Cleburne, Texas. The twister killed six people and destroyed entire swaths of the North Texas town.
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Jack McMahon, the defense attorney for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, speaks outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia Tuesday. His client was convicted of killing three babies in his clinic, and will serve multiple life sentences.
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
A photo taken Monday captures Vice President Joe Biden's response to a Milwaukee second-grader's innovative proposal to end America's epidemic of gun violence. This guy!
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., flanked by a grouper-eyed Michele Bachmann, addresses the IRS' admission that it targeted Tea Party groups in advance of the 2012 election. In an op-ed for CNN Thursday, the Kentucky senator slammed the president for his faux outrage.
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Ousted IRS chief Steven Miller is sworn in on Capitol Hill Friday. Miller testified before the House Ways and Means Committee on the extra scrutiny the agency gave conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Attorney General Eric Holder pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday. Holder is under fire, among other things, for the Justice Department's gathering of phone records at the Associated Press.
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
O.J. Simpson sits during an evidentiary hearing at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday. Simpson, who is currently serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in state prison for armed robbery and kidnapping, is using a writ of habeas corpus to seek a new trial.
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Major Tom to ground control: On Sunday astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded the first music video from space, a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
When it rains it pours. President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inexplicably inspiring an #umbrellagate Twitter meme.
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
A smoke plume rises high above a road block at the intersection of County A and Ross Road east of Solon Springs, Wis., Tuesday. No injuries were reported, but the the wildfire caused evacuations across northwestern Wisconsin.
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11