Topics: From the Wires
The extra playoff spot in Major League Baseball this season has thickened the races, with several teams still within October’s reach despite bringing mediocre records into the stretch run.
That’s making an impact in the seats. MLB-wide attendance is up again, 4 percent from 2011.
Team executives and business analysts point to a number of other reasons for the jump. In Pittsburgh, for example, there’s interest in the Pirates simply because they’re good again. They’ve announced 13 sellouts at PNC Park, and the Pirates are in line to make the playoffs.
The weather has also been warmer and drier in the Great Lakes and Eastern Seaboard states, where unfriendly weather helped keep crowds smaller in the spring of 2011.
More Related Stories
- Bachmann challenger not eager for Obama's help
- Moore officials: Funds for "safe rooms" were held up by red tape
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Rescue crews race to find tornado survivors
- Looting in Oklahoma?
- When my home was destroyed
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Who is Toronto Mayor Rob Ford?
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- Hundreds of low-wage federally contracted workers strike in D.C.
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Colorado judge rules Abercrombie parent company violates Disabilities Act
- When America became a third-world country
- Wikipedia cleans up its mess
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- You are less beautiful than you think
- "Ghetto" tour lets you gawk at New York's poor
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- It's Whitewater all over again
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11