CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico (AP) — The government of the Mexican border state of Tamaulipas says it is investigating the reported disappearance of the editor of a small regional weekly newspaper, almost a week after he was last seen.
Tamaulipas Interior Secretary Morelos Canseco says no formal missing person report has been filed in the case of Mario Segura, director of the Sol del Sur newspaper. But Canseco said Saturday investigators are looking into the Segura’s whereabouts.
The Inter-American Press Association issued a statement Saturday calling on Mexico to investigate the disappearance.
Local media reported Segura went missing Monday. No one answered the phone number listed on the newspaper’s website.
In July, Mexico’s special prosecutor for crimes against journalists said 67 journalists have been killed and 14 have disappeared in the country since 2006.
More Related Stories
- DHS admits "impossible" to control 3D-printed guns
- Kaitlyn Hunt refuses plea offer, will go to court over high school relationship
- Journalists file suit against Manning trial secrecy
- Russia: Syrian regime ready to participate in peace talks
- Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food
- Ted Cruz against the world
- Louie Gohmert: Women should be forced to carry nonviable pregnancies to term
- 2 men arrested for endangering commercial aircraft
- Oversized load blamed for bridge collapse
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Iran hackers aiming at U.S. energy firms
- Lawyers release data in attempt to discredit Trayvon Martin
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Bridge collapse: Part of "aging infrastructure"
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Interstate 5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- UK Military: London attack victim was a "model soldier"
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11