Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today
1. TODD AKIN SAYS HE IS STAYING IN THE SENATE RACE
But Missouri law gives him until 5 p.m. Tuesday as pressure to leave continues after his “legitimate” rape comment.
2. SIX YEARS OF NYPD SPYING ON MUSLIMS, NO TERROR CASES
Newly unsealed testimony shows the police infiltration of Muslim groups never triggered a terrorism investigation.
3. TOP U.S. GENERAL SAFE AFTER ROCKET HITS PARKED PLANE
The joint chiefs of staff chairman was not near the aircraft at an Afghanistan base, but the strike may be a propaganda coup for the Taliban.
4. HOW PUSSY RIOT’S PUNISHMENT STACKS UP AROUND THE WORLD
Where insulting the king, killing your cattle, bouncing checks, even chewing gum can get you in deep trouble.
5. OBAMA’S LATEST TARGET: RYAN’S PROPOSED EDUCATION CUTS
He is set to deliver his latest critiques from college campuses, while the GOP running mate tells voters how his party will boost small businesses.
6. NYAD HOPES TO FINISH CUBA-TO-FLORIDA SWIM TODAY
But she’s waiting out another storm, threatening her plan to make landfall the day before her 63rd birthday.
7. FOR CLASS OF 2016, WOMEN ALWAYS PILOTED WAR PLANES
The Beloit College Mindset List reminds professors that this year’s college freshmen see the world differently.
8. VIGIL AMID QUESTIONS IN PATROL CAR SHOOTING DEATH
Supporters of a 21-year-old man shot to death in what police say was a suicide will start a march in Jonesboro, Ark., at 2 p.m.
9. APPLE-SAMSUNG BATTLE SOON IN JURY’S HANDS
The maker of the iPhone and the iPad seeks $2.5 billion in an epic patent fight.
10. THE JOKE WAS ON PHYLLIS DILLER, WHO MADE A LANDMARK CAREER OF IT
“I became a stand-up comedienne,” she said many times before her death at 95, “because I had a sit-down husband.”
Jaime Cone is an editorial fellow at Salon. More Jaime Cone.
More Related Stories
- Illinois' fracking and coal rush is a national crisis
- Developers evict historic women's shelter to build luxury hotel
- Kaitlyn Hunt refuses plea offer, will go to court over high school relationship
- DHS admits "impossible" to control 3D-printed guns
- Journalists file suit against Manning trial secrecy
- Russia: Syrian regime ready to talk peace
- Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food
- Ted Cruz against the world
- Louie Gohmert: Women should be forced to carry nonviable pregnancies to term
- 2 men arrested for endangering commercial aircraft
- Oversized load blamed for bridge collapse
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Iran hackers aiming at U.S. energy firms
- Lawyers release data in attempt to discredit Trayvon Martin
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Bridge collapse: Part of "aging infrastructure"
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Interstate 5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Lisa Montgomery embraces her nephew Thursday after a tornado tore apart her home in Cleburne, Texas. The twister killed six people and destroyed entire swaths of the North Texas town.
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Jack McMahon, the defense attorney for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, speaks outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia Tuesday. His client was convicted of killing three babies in his clinic, and will serve multiple life sentences.
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
A photo taken Monday captures Vice President Joe Biden's response to a Milwaukee second-grader's innovative proposal to end America's epidemic of gun violence. This guy!
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., flanked by a grouper-eyed Michele Bachmann, addresses the IRS' admission that it targeted Tea Party groups in advance of the 2012 election. In an op-ed for CNN Thursday, the Kentucky senator slammed the president for his faux outrage.
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Ousted IRS chief Steven Miller is sworn in on Capitol Hill Friday. Miller testified before the House Ways and Means Committee on the extra scrutiny the agency gave conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Attorney General Eric Holder pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday. Holder is under fire, among other things, for the Justice Department's gathering of phone records at the Associated Press.
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
O.J. Simpson sits during an evidentiary hearing at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday. Simpson, who is currently serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in state prison for armed robbery and kidnapping, is using a writ of habeas corpus to seek a new trial.
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Major Tom to ground control: On Sunday astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded the first music video from space, a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
When it rains it pours. President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inexplicably inspiring an #umbrellagate Twitter meme.
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
A smoke plume rises high above a road block at the intersection of County A and Ross Road east of Solon Springs, Wis., Tuesday. No injuries were reported, but the the wildfire caused evacuations across northwestern Wisconsin.
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11