SUGAR LAND, Texas (AP) — Roger Clemens is back on the mound at age 50, striking out hitters again.
Clemens pitched Saturday night for the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League. He faced Bridgeport and fanned the first batter he faced, former major leaguer Joey Gathright.
The seven-time Cy Young Award winner, who last pitched for the New York Yankees in 2007, worked a 1-2-3 first inning with two strikeouts. His fastball was clocked at 88 mph.
The Rocket hasn’t committed to playing more than one game for the Skeeters, but some believe this is the first step in an attempted return to the majors.
More Related Stories
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Is the anti-gay backlash on?
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
- The camp-free "Behind the Candelabra"
- Justin Bieber will destroy you if you live-tweet his parties
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11