HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The Republican candidate for Senate in Pennsylvania is comparing the decision to abort an unwanted pregnancy resulting from premarital sex to one conceived through rape as he defends his opposition to abortion in all cases.
Republican Tom Smith is challenging Democratic Sen. Bob Casey.
Smith made the remark Monday after being asked how he would argue to keep the baby if a daughter or granddaughter were to become pregnant as a result of rape.
Smith says that his daughter went through “something similar” to rape — in his words, “Having a baby out of wedlock.”
In the Senate race in Missouri, Republican candidate Todd Akin drew condemnation from Democrats and many Republicans when he referred to “legitimate rape” in discussing his stance against abortion in all cases.
More Related Stories
- In IRS scandal, new GOP tactic is ignorance
- Code Pink activist berates Obama at national security speech
- Cuomo: "Shame on us" if New York City elects Weiner
- Coburn calls questions about tornado aid "typical Washington B.S."
- Conspiracy theorists clash over London attack
- Voting is not a right
- Destroying the planet for record profits
- Ahead of Obama's speech, U.S. acknowledges four American drone killings
- Pic of the day: Barack Obama at prom
- Anti-Islam backlash in London after machete attack
- Must-see morning clip: Bill O'Reilly visits "The Daily Show"
- Obama’s drone speech will probably be maddening
- Boehner: "Inconceivable" Obama didn't know about IRS targeting
- Obama to announce new effort to close Guantanamo Bay
- House supporters of KXL received $56m from fossil fuel industry
- Judge tells lesbian couple to separate -- or lose kids
- Obama to address drones, Guantánamo
- If Alex Pareene were a cable news executive...
- Portland's senseless war on fluoride
- Graphic video reportedly shows possible London machete attack suspect
- What economists get wrong about the jobs crisis
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11