LONDON (AP) — Thousands of people have lined British streets to welcome the Paralympic flame as it arrives in London ahead of the games’ opening ceremony.
The flame, which is being carried by some 580 torchbearers in total, will visit London landmarks, including the Abbey Road crosswalk made famous by The Beatles, before it arrives at the Olympic Stadium in east London.
The 24-hour torch relay began Tuesday night in Stoke Mandeville, about 45 miles (72 kilometers) northwest of London, the birthplace of the Paralympic Games.
Queen Elizabeth II, Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge are expected to join thousands at the opening ceremony Wednesday evening.
The ceremony is directed by Oscar-nominated film and theater director Stephen Daldry, known for the movies “Billy Elliot” and “The Hours.”
More Related Stories
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- Stephen Colbert to UVA: "You must always make the path for yourself"
- "Game of Thrones," season 3, episode 8: A salon
- Bieber booed, Miguel falls on fan at Billboard Awards
- "Mad Men" recap: Love, acid and whores. Lots of whores
- Taylor Swift leads Billboard winners
- “Game of Thrones” recap: “We must do our duty”
- "The Unwinding": What's gone wrong with America
- Michael J. Fox wins: The best and worst of the new fall shows
- First look: The Coens' marvelous folk-music odyssey
- New York's most persecuted subway artist?
- James Franco: "I really felt I was in conversation with Faulkner"
- "Jodorowsky's Dune": The sci-fi classic that never was
- First look: A Chinese art-house director goes for blood
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11