A case of Minnesota modesty or a 2016 clue?
Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar, who is sometimes mentioned as a potential presidential hopeful, addressed convention delegate breakfasts this week for the early nominating states of Iowa and South Carolina. She noted that Iowa is a make-or-break place for presidential wannabes while offering a candid assessment of her Minnesota’s heritage.
“We are the state that makes vice presidents that run for president,” she told the Iowans before telling reporters she’s happy in her current job.
Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale, two vice presidents from Minnesota, fell short in their respective bids for the top job. More recently, Minnesota Republicans Tim Pawlenty and Michele Bachmann ran for president but didn’t make it past the Iowa cut.
— Brian Bakst — Twitter http://twitter.com/Stowydad
EDITOR’S NOTE — Convention Watch shows you the 2012 political conventions through the eyes of Associated Press journalists. Follow them on Twitter where available with the handles listed after each item.
More Related Stories
- Cyber attacks could cause the next world war
- "Original Coca-Cola had a very small amount of cocaine"
- Lois Lerner, IRS disaster
- Who is "Company Doe?": A new test in corporate secrecy
- Weak, incompetent Democrats blow another one
- Donald Rumsfeld worried that marriage equality will lead to polygamy
- Biden cracks Obama teleprompter joke
- IRS official takes the Fifth: "I have not done anything wrong"
- Experts: Fox News spying scandal a game-changer
- Lessons from Lincoln leave gay immigrants behind
- Los Angeles elects first Jewish mayor
- Peter King: There's "hypocrisy" over aid by Oklahoma senators
- Anthony Weiner announces run for NYC mayor
- How policy nihilists in the Senate doomed LGBT immigrants
- On freedom of speech, Obama-Nixon comparisons are apt
- Senate panel approves immigration overhaul
- Slave descendants seek equal rights from Cherokee Nation
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Is abortion about to doom Republicans again?
- Anti-voter-fraud Tea Party group sues the IRS
- The Bachmann-inspired romance novel
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11