Muslims clash with police in Europe
European countries condemn the anti-U.S. violence, but concerns are growing over the impact of the unrest
Topics: GlobalPost, Free Speech, Religion, Yemen, Cairo, Egypt, The Innocence of Muslims, News, Politics News
Libyan followers of Ansar al-Shariah Brigades burn the U.S. flag during a protest in front of the Tibesti Hotel, in Benghazi, Libya (Credit: AP/ Mohammad Hannon)The rage over a US-made anti-Islamic video spread to Europe over the weekend, when clashes took place between protesters and police in several cities even as mainstream Muslim community leaders joined European governments in condemning violence sparked by the film.
French police arrested 150 demonstrators who gathered outside the US embassy in Paris on Saturday, and 250 protesters were detained in Belgium over the weekend after confrontations in the country’s second city, Antwerp. Around 300 people chanted anti-US slogans outside the American Embassy in London on Sunday.
Muslim leaders in France and Belgium were quick to condemn the violence despite their outrage over the video, which mocks the Prophet Muhammad.
“Don’t associate French Muslims with these marginalized events,” said Mohamed Moussaoui, president of the French Council of the Muslim Religion. “Muslims should use legal and just means to defend their religion.”
European governments have been united in condemning the anti-American violence in several mainly-Muslim countries and have expressed their support for Washington following the killing last week of J. Christopher Stevens, the US ambassador to Libya.
French President François Hollande summed up the mood by expressing “France’s complete solidarity with the United States.”
European media followed a similar line. “When US flags burn, embassies are vandalized, and diplomats are murdered, it is an attack on the West, and not just America,” wrote the German tabloid Bild.
Behind the scenes, officials said European countries were putting diplomatic pressure on Muslim governments to condemn the violence, attempt to defuse anti-US tensions and increase security at Western embassies.
European diplomats noted that Egypt’s Islamist President Mohammad Morsi finally issued a statement condemning the attack that killed Stevens after holding talks with European Union officials in Brussels on Thursday — although an angry phone call from US President Barack Obama is reported to have helped persuade Morsi to speak out.
Despite the support for the United States, however, there is concern in Europe that the scale of anti-American feeling unleashed by the low-budget video represents Obama’s failure to reach out to the Muslim world, and that his re-election prospects may be jeopardized.
Continue Reading Close




Comments
2 Comments