Is there anything else worth knowing about the movie?
Considering that “Atlas Shrugged” was a 2011 box office flop (and boasts an 11% rating on Rotten Tomatoes), it’s not clear how much of America will bother watching “Atlas Shrugged Part II,” the second movie in the Rand-based trilogy. But one change, according to Slate’s Dave Weigel, may increase its appeal: a new, slightly more obscure cast that rings true to the low-budget, independent spirit of the movies:
For all the mockery, for all the liberal gloating about box-office numbers, the first “Atlas” film accidentally cast too many successful actors. Taylor Schilling, the original Dagny Taggart, went on to co-star in “The Lucky One” and the upcoming Ben Affleck movie about the Iran hostage crisis. “She’s a bona fide movie star now,” says Aglialoro. So she’s been replaced by Samantha Mathis, a ’90s star who’s been mounting a kind of comeback. The rest of the cast is also new. It’s libertarian cinema by way of “Doctor Who.”
But the best part is probably going to be, as Weigel calls it “an impromptu game of ‘hey, it’s that guy!’” The number one “that guy” is Biff from “Back to the Future,” known only to his family (maybe) as Thomas F. Wilson. Is Biff going to be a huge jerk in “Atlas,” too? No idea, but seeing as he plays the chairman of the Taggart board — Rand’s insufferable heroine — the answer is probably yes.
Does Paul Ryan have his ticket?
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. More Prachi Gupta.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11