KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Pat Summitt says in an affidavit that she initially believed she was forced to step down as the Lady Vols basketball coach after the 2011-12 season by Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart.
The affidavit was part of former Lady Vols media director Debby Jennings’ lawsuit against the University of Tennessee. In it, Summitt says Hart told her in March she would be replaced after the season.
Summitt says in the affidavit filed Wednesday in a Tennessee federal court that Hart later told her that she misinterpreted his comments from that conversation. Jennings’ lawsuit alleges that age and sex discrimination led to Jennings’ forced retirement.
University spokesperson Margie Nichols said last week it’s “absolutely not true” that Summitt was forced to step down. Summitt is currently Tennessee’s head coach emeritus.
More Related Stories
- Hillary Clinton memoir shows up on Amazon
- First look: Joaquin Phoenix, Marion Cotillard shine in "The Immigrant”
- A brief history of Jennifer Weiner's literary fights
- No women allowed: Summer music festivals are dudefests, again
- Vivica A. Fox tapes anti-gun PSA in front of poster for her movie
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Mariah Carey's rambling, cursing, dress-popping "Good Morning America" concert
- Fox's new reality TV show threatens regular people with unemployment
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Steamy lesbian-sex movie has Cannes abuzz
- Stop what you're doing and go watch "Borgen"
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11