LONDON (AP) — This year’s London Film Festival has Ben Affleck, Dustin Hoffman and the Rolling Stones — and it’s bookended by one of the city’s premiere cinematic couples.
Britain’s biggest film showcase opens Wednesday with the London-based American director Tim Burton’s “Frankenweenie,” the animated tale of a boy and his beloved — but dead — dog. It ends Oct. 21 with Mike Newell’s “Great Expectations,” which stars Burton’s partner, Helena Bonham Carter, as haunted Miss Havisham.
Highlights of the 56th annual festival include the world premiere of Rolling Stones documentary “Crossfire Hurricane”; Hoffman’s directorial debut, “Quartet,” about a group of aging opera stars; Affleck’s Iran hostage thriller “Argo”; and “The Sessions,” in which a polio patient in an iron lung enlists a sex surrogate so he can lose his virginity.
More Related Stories
- What's 2013's "Gone Girl"? Here are this summer's best reads
- Fox executive behind "Does Someone Have to Go?" leaving the network
- Hillary Clinton memoir shows up on Amazon
- A brief history of Jennifer Weiner's literary fights
- First look: Joaquin Phoenix, Marion Cotillard shine in "The Immigrant”
- No women allowed: Summer music festivals are dudefests, again
- Vivica A. Fox tapes anti-gun PSA in front of poster for her movie
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Mariah Carey's rambling, cursing, dress-popping "Good Morning America" concert
- Fox's new reality TV show threatens regular people with unemployment
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Steamy lesbian-sex movie has Cannes abuzz
- Stop what you're doing and go watch "Borgen"
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11