LONDON (AP) — BBC Director General George Entwistle says a report wrongly implicating a senior politician in child-abuse allegations should never have been broadcast.
On Friday, the broadcaster apologized “unreservedly” for airing a “Newsnight” program with accusations from a victim who claimed a one-time senior Conservative Party figure had abused him.
“Newsnight” didn’t name the politician, but online rumors pointed to Alistair McAlpine, a member of the House of Lords. McAlpine fiercely denied the allegations, and the victim retracted his claim, saying he had misidentified his abuser.
Entwistle told BBC radio Saturday that staffers could be disciplined for a broadcast “so fundamentally wrong.” He also insisted he had no intention of resigning.
The BBC is already under fire for not airing allegations that its late star host, Jimmy Savile, sexually abused children.
More Related Stories
- Oregon senator proposes appeal to Monsanto Protection Act
- Supreme Court to rule on prayer at government meetings
- Beltway scandal machine breaks, knows nothing about America
- Gitmo hunger striker launches Twitter campaign
- "Hero" cop, honored by Obama, accused of double rape
- Father of gay high school student arrested for dating classmate speaks out
- Pentagon adviser pushed Anthrax drug, which his firm produced
- Conservatives A-OK with closeted Boy Scouts
- The new geography of poverty
- Promotion for NYPD cop who cost city $1.5m in settlements
- Obama to all-male university graduates: Be the best husband to "your boyfriend or partner"
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- GOP attorney general candidate tried to force women to report miscarriages to police
- Chinese hackers resume attacks against U.S.
- Must-see morning clip: Facial recognition software identifies "faceprints"
- Georgian police slow to react to mob violence at gay rights march
- Xenophobia only benefits the 1 percent
- Syrian troops move into strategic, rebel-held town
- 1 killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Peggy Noonan hears a dog whistle
- DOJ tracked movements, phone records of Fox reporter
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11