ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Devin Gardner ran for a 1-yard touchdown in overtime and Michigan’s defense responded with a stop, giving the Wolverines a wild 38-31 win over Northwestern on Saturday.
Trevor Siemian threw a 15-yard pass to Tony Jones with 3:59 left to give the Wildcats a 31-28 lead and Gardner threw an interception on the next snap.
Northwestern couldn’t pick up enough first downs to run out the clock in regulation and the Wolverines took advantage.
Gardner heaved a 53-yard pass to Roy Roundtree to set up Brendan Gibbons’ 26-yard field goal with 2 seconds left to force OT.
The Wolverines (7-3, 5-1 Big Ten) barely prevented Northwestern (6-4, 4-2) from winning consecutive games in Ann Arbor for the first time since the 1934 and 1936 seasons.
More Related Stories
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Is the anti-gay backlash on?
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
- The camp-free "Behind the Candelabra"
- Justin Bieber will destroy you if you live-tweet his parties
- Marc Maron on Twitter feud with Michael Ian Black: "We have an understanding"
- "Girls Gone Wild" creator Joe Francis to jury: "You should be euthanized"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11