LAURELVILLE, Ohio (AP) — An Amish farmer in Ohio is accused of keeping dozens of dogs in gruesome settings, including injured animals living in feces a foot deep.
He counters that his dogs were taken because of cultural differences.
WCMH reports that authorities seized 52 dogs from Jonas Beachy’s property in Laurelville in October and he was charged Friday with animal cruelty.
Teresa Landon is executive director of the Ohio Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. She says authorities found “horrendous conditions” including matted, sometimes injured animals.
Beachy says he cares for his animals properly and has followed all laws. A neighbor who has known Beachy for 20 years said he believes the man is being treated unfairly.
Beachy’s initial court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 27.
Information from: WCMH-TV, http://www.nbc4i.com
More Related Stories
- Illinois' fracking and coal rush is a national crisis
- Developers evict historic women's shelter to build luxury hotel
- Kaitlyn Hunt refuses plea offer, will go to court over high school relationship
- DHS admits "impossible" to control 3D-printed guns
- Journalists file suit against Manning trial secrecy
- Russia: Syrian regime ready to talk peace
- Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food
- Ted Cruz against the world
- Louie Gohmert: Women should be forced to carry nonviable pregnancies to term
- 2 men arrested for endangering commercial aircraft
- Oversized load blamed for bridge collapse
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Iran hackers aiming at U.S. energy firms
- Lawyers release data in attempt to discredit Trayvon Martin
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Bridge collapse: Part of "aging infrastructure"
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Interstate 5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11