NEW YORK (AP) — The world premiere of an opera composed by Gyorgy Kurtag based on Samuel Beckett’s “Endgame” has been delayed a year until 2014.
The Salzburg Festival said Wednesday that it will be replaced on its schedule next summer by a production of Harrison Birtwistle’s “Gawain” that opens July 26.
Kurtag, an 86-year-old Hungarian composer, intends to complete his new work in time for the 2014 festival.
Next summer’s Salzburg schedule includes productions of Wagner’s “Die Meistersinger von Nuernburg,” Verdi’s “Don Carlo” and “Falstaff,” Mozart’s “Cosi fan tutte” and “Lucia Silla,” and Bellini’s “Norma.”
Cecila Bartoli will sing the title role in “Norma” for the first time at the Salzburg Whitsun Festival and Placido Domingo will sing in three concert performances of Verdi’s “Giovanna d’Arco (Joan of Arc)” starting Aug. 6.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11