NEW YORK (AP) — A bankruptcy court has approved a joint $3 billion buyout bid from Ocwen Loan Servicing and Walter Investment Management for Residential Capital.
The court also approved the sale of ResCap’s portfolio of about 50,000 loans to Berkshire Hathaway Inc. for $1.5 billion.
Residential Capital, also known as ResCap, is a subsidiary of Ally Financial, the former auto lending arm of General Motors. ResCap filed for bankruptcy protection in May after being hobbled by payments on debt taken out to finance soured home mortgages.
The sale is expected to close in the first quarter of 2013.
Ally now operates mainly as an automotive lender and bank. It’s trying to sell off non-core and overseas assets in an effort to generate cash to pay back its government loans and reshape its operations.
More Related Stories
- Here come the tornado truthers. Already
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Moore officials: Funds for "safe rooms" were held up by red tape
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Rescue crews race to find tornado survivors
- Looting in Oklahoma?
- Hundreds of low-wage federally contracted workers strike in D.C.
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Watch: Family emerges from storm shelter after tornado
- Must-see morning clip: Barackalypse Now
- Okla. tornado survivor reunited with dog trapped in rubble live on camera
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Oklahoma death count confirmed at 24, 9 children
- Frantic parents search for children in tornado's wake
- Crews dig through rubble after deadly tornado
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11