WASHINGTON (AP) — A spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner says he has received letter of resignation from Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.
Boehner’s spokesman Michael Steel said Wednesday the Speaker’s office received a letter of resignation from Jackson. Boehner’s office did not immediately comment beyond acknowledging they’d received the letter.
Jackson was easily re-elected earlier this month to a ninth term despite not having appeared in public since quietly taking medical leave in June for treatment of bipolar disorder.
The House Ethics Committee has been looking into whether Jackson was involved in discussions about raising money for imprisoned ex-Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s campaign in exchange for an appointment to President Barack Obama’s vacated Senate seat.
There also have been reports of a federal investigation into possible misuse of campaign money.
More Related Stories
- Slave descendants seek equal rights from Cherokee Nation
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Is abortion about to doom Republicans again?
- Anti-voter-fraud Tea Party group sues the IRS
- The Bachmann-inspired romance novel
- Nate Silver: Why the scandals aren't hurting Obama
- How to oust Michele Bachmann from Congress
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Who is Toronto Mayor Rob Ford?
- Colorado judge rules Abercrombie parent company violates Disabilities Act
- When America became a third-world country
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- It's Whitewater all over again
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Anyone regret slashing National Weather Service budget now?
- Oklahoma senator: Tornado aid "totally different" from Sandy aid
- Aloof, shifty Obama: Nixon times ten thousand!
- Obama: Moore "needs to get everything it needs right away"
- California Tea Party group files first IRS lawsuit
- Still no polling backlash for Obama
- Oklahoma senator wants to offset tornado aid with other cuts
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11