Heart stoppers, belly bombers and the just plain bizarre. Ten dishes to avoid this holiday
Happy Thanksgiving! Time to make sure you have everything: Brine for the turkey? Check. Marshmallows for the sweet potatoes? Check. Onions for the green bean casserole? Check. Mealworms for the cornbread stuffing? Um, check?
From insect-filled feasts to turkey done Guy Fieri-style, here’s Salon’s roundup of the weirdest, the grossest and the downright strangest Thanksgiving fare our great nation (and Canada!) has to offer. Bon appétit!
Grossest Thanksgiving recipesclose X
- 1 of 11
- A lifetime of unhealthy cooking might have scored Paula Deen a lucrative gig as spokesperson for a diabetes drug, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for this recipe. Credit: The Food Network
- Tubby Dog in Alberta, Canada, might not be an American establishment, but it really "gets" America. This Thanksgiving-inspired dog is smothered in cranberry sauce, gravy, sauteed onions, cheese and stuffing. And it comes with a side of pumpkin pie in case you're still hungry. Credit: Tubby Dog
- What would this list be without a turducken? A chicken in a duck in a turkey. Tasty? Sure. But it's still the Island of Dr. Moreau in food form. Credit: The Food Network
- Guy Fieri wears flames on his shirt. He puts his sunglasses on backward. He is a wild, unpredictable TV personality. And this Thanksgiving, he suggests stuffing your turkey with ham, Brie and green chiles. It's a one-way ticket to Flavor Town! (And the neighboring hamlet Indigestion Town.) Credit: The Food Network
Turkey Cordon Bleu stuffed with ham, roasted green chiles and Brie
- Look, bacon apple pie sounds delicious. Bacon is amazing and good on every single thing in the world. But our love affair with pig fat is killing us, people! We are lining our arteries with delicious grease and turning our hearts into the anatomical equivalent of turduckens. Don't you love your family? Don't serve this to the family that you love! Credit: Food.com
Bacon apple pie
- Not to be mistaken for a dessert, this turkey cake is essentially a meatloaf (in the literal sense) on a dessert stand. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and marshmallows sub in for the frosting. Terrified? Enticed? We won't judge. Credit: Chow.com
- In an alternative universe, Rachael Ray is president, "Yum-o" is the national anthem, and standard Thanksgiving fare is this turkey with chipotle Cheddar sweet potatoes and poblano green gravy. Credit: The Food Network
Turkey with chipotle Cheddar sweet potatoes and poblano green gravy
- Thanksgiving sushi: Turkey, sweet potato, stuffing and cranberry sauce wrapped in rice and seaweed. It's basically turducken with Japanese flair. Credit: Foodbeast.com
- Bugging out over hosting your family for Thanksgiving this year? Well, so are the proprietors of the Audubon Butterfly Garden Insectarium in New Orleans. They've topped their Thanksgiving dinner with protein-rich wax worms, crickets and mealworms. Pro: Won't give you indigestion. Con: Will give you nightmares. Credit: Audubon Images
- Sandra Lee calls these gelatin confections "cranberry molds," but let's be real: These are vodka-soaked Jell-O shots with crushed walnuts on top. Who knew that New York's unofficial first lady was such a party animal? (Trick question: Everyone knew that.) Credit: Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee via iVillage
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11
More Related Stories
- Pa. governor "can't find" any Latinos to work in his administration
- Conservative group blames military sexual assault on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal
- Is Pittsburgh the next Portland?
- Tornado survivor to Wolf Blitzer: Sorry, I'm an atheist. I don't have to thank the Lord
- Donald Rumsfeld worried that marriage equality will lead to polygamy
- San Francisco Giant Jeremy Affeldt apologizes for homophobic past
- Wall Street firm's "Golden Pitchbook" is totally sexist, full of lies
- Federal court strikes down Arizona abortion ban
- I'm not achieving my dreams!
- The most popular Tumblr porn
- Slave descendants seek equal rights from Cherokee Nation
- Snapchat is secretly storing your photos
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Facebook's hate speech problem
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- When my home was destroyed
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- You are less beautiful than you think
- "Ghetto" tour lets you gawk at New York's poor
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Lisa Montgomery embraces her nephew Thursday after a tornado tore apart her home in Cleburne, Texas. The twister killed six people and destroyed entire swaths of the North Texas town.
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Jack McMahon, the defense attorney for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, speaks outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia Tuesday. His client was convicted of killing three babies in his clinic, and will serve multiple life sentences.
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
A photo taken Monday captures Vice President Joe Biden's response to a Milwaukee second-grader's innovative proposal to end America's epidemic of gun violence. This guy!
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., flanked by a grouper-eyed Michele Bachmann, addresses the IRS' admission that it targeted Tea Party groups in advance of the 2012 election. In an op-ed for CNN Thursday, the Kentucky senator slammed the president for his faux outrage.
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Ousted IRS chief Steven Miller is sworn in on Capitol Hill Friday. Miller testified before the House Ways and Means Committee on the extra scrutiny the agency gave conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Attorney General Eric Holder pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday. Holder is under fire, among other things, for the Justice Department's gathering of phone records at the Associated Press.
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
O.J. Simpson sits during an evidentiary hearing at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday. Simpson, who is currently serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in state prison for armed robbery and kidnapping, is using a writ of habeas corpus to seek a new trial.
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Major Tom to ground control: On Sunday astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded the first music video from space, a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
When it rains it pours. President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inexplicably inspiring an #umbrellagate Twitter meme.
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
A smoke plume rises high above a road block at the intersection of County A and Ross Road east of Solon Springs, Wis., Tuesday. No injuries were reported, but the the wildfire caused evacuations across northwestern Wisconsin.
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11