ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — An official in the New York governor’s administration says Superstorm Sandy ran up a $42 billion bill on New York and the state and New York City are making big requests for disaster aid from the federal government.
The official provided the new, higher total on the condition of anonymity because an announcement was scheduled for later Monday.
The cost includes $32 billion for repairs and restoration and $9 billion for mitigation of damage and for preventive measures for the next disastrous storm.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo met with the New York’s congressional delegation Monday to discuss the new figures. The delegation, Cuomo and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg will now draw up a request for federal disaster aid.
Bloomberg estimates the city’s cost alone at $19 billion.
Associated Press writer Jennifer Peltz in New York City contributed to this report.
More Related Stories
- Oklahoma residents return home to pick up the pieces
- Florida man with connection to Tsarnaev killed by FBI
- FBI identifies 5 Benghazi suspects
- Here come the tornado truthers. Already
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Moore officials: Funds for "safe rooms" were held up by red tape
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Rescue crews race to find tornado survivors
- Looting in Oklahoma?
- Hundreds of low-wage federally contracted workers strike in D.C.
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Watch: Family emerges from storm shelter after tornado
- Must-see morning clip: Barackalypse Now
- Okla. tornado survivor reunited with dog trapped in rubble live on camera
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Oklahoma death count confirmed at 24, 9 children
- Frantic parents search for children in tornado's wake
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11