Clashes in Cairo ahead of opposition rally
The opposition says new decrees give Morsi near dictatorial powers, despite his claims otherwise VIDEO
Topics: Mohammed Morsi, Cairo, Video, Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt, Egyptian Protests, aol_on, News
Egyptians clash with security forces near Tahrir square,duri an opposition rally has been called for (AP Photo/Thomas Hartwell) CAIRO (AP) — Egyptian protesters and police clashed in Cairo on Tuesday just hours ahead of a planned massive rally by opponents of the country’s Islamist president demanding he rescind decrees that granted him near-absolute powers.
Police fired tear gas and hundreds of protesters pelted them with rocks at a street between the U.S. Embassy and Tahrir Square, birthplace of the uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak’s authoritarian regime nearly two years ago.
The protesters have been staging a sit-in at the square since Friday night to demand President Mohammed Morsi revoke his decrees.
By mid-day, hundreds were starting to gather in Tahrir, chanting against Morsi’s decrees and the Brotherhood. A new banner in the square proclaimed, “The Brotherhood stole the country.”
“We are here to bring down the constitutional declaration issued by Morsi,” said one protester at Tahrir, Mahmoud Youssef.
Hundreds of lawyers meanwhile gathered outside their union building in downtown Cairo ahead of their march to Tahrir. “Leave, leave,” they chanted, addressing Morsi.
The rally planned for later Tuesday, with marches from various parts of Cairo to converge on Tahrir, is to be a significant test of the opposition’s ability to bring out supporters and the public against Morsi’s edicts issued last week.
The opposition says the decrees give Morsi near dictatorial powers by neutralizing the judiciary at a time when he already holds executive and legislative powers. Key parts of the judicial system have denounced the measures.
Morsi, in office since June, says the decrees are necessary to protect the “revolution” and the nation’s transition to democratic rule. His declaration made all his decisions immune to judicial review and banned the courts from dissolving the upper house of parliament and an assembly writing the new constitution, both of which are dominated by Islamists. The decree also gave Morsi sweeping authority to stop any “threats” to the revolution.
Morsi’s supporters canceled a massive rally they had planned for Tuesday, citing the need to “defuse tension” after a series of clashes between the two camps since the decrees were issued Thursday.
But a spokesman for the Muslim Brotherhood, the fundamentalist group from which Morsi hails, said demonstrations supporting the president could go ahead outside the capital and that supporters would form human chains in some provinces to protect Brotherhood offices. Morsi’s supporters say more than a dozen of their offices have been ransacked or set ablaze since Friday.
Continue Reading Close


Comments
0 Comments