Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHAT PALESTINIANS ARE POISED TO GAIN FROM THE UN
Today’s vote on recognizing a Palestinian state could give them leverage in future border talks with Israel.
2. RUSH TOWARD ‘FISCAL CLIFF’ SLOWS A BIT
The White House and a key Democrat hint at concessions on taxes and cuts, while more Republicans seem ready to give ground.
3. WHO ARE WAKING UP AS MILLIONAIRES
Powerball officials say winning tickets were sold in Missouri and Arizona to split the $579.9 million jackpot.
4. RULING EXPECTED IN CONCORDE CRASH APPEAL
A French appeals court is set to decide today whether to uphold a manslaughter conviction against Continental Airlines for the fiery crash in which 113 were killed.
5. IN EGYPT, FEARS OF A ‘SECOND REVOLUTION’
President Morsi faces an unprecedented strike by the courts and massive opposition protests after his decrees placing him above oversight of any kind.
6. OBAMA TO ROMNEY: LET’S DO LUNCH
The political rivals will break bread today at the White House. It’ll be their first meeting since the election.
7. HOW A BILL COULD IMPACT POLICE SEARCHES OF EMAILS
The proposed law being considered by a senate committee today requires authorities to get a warrant before accessing private information.
8. DOZENS OF MONKS HURT AT MYANMAR MINE PROTEST
Security forces used water cannons on the spiritual devotees just hours before opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi was to visit the area.
9. WHY GOTHAM’S GLOWING A BIT BRIGHTER
Some 30,000 bulbs festooning the 80-foot Christmas tree in NYC’s Rockefeller Center are now beaming forth.
10. IMAGINE! YOKO ONO’S FASHIONS INSPIRED BY LENNON’S ‘HOT BOD’
Her new menswear collection includes pants with large handprints on the crotch, tank tops with nipple cutouts and a flashing LED bra.
More Related Stories
- Developers evict historic women's shelter to build luxury hotel
- Kaitlyn Hunt refuses plea offer, will go to court over high school relationship
- DHS admits "impossible" to control 3D-printed guns
- Journalists file suit against Manning trial secrecy
- Russia: Syrian regime ready to talk peace
- Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food
- Ted Cruz against the world
- Louie Gohmert: Women should be forced to carry nonviable pregnancies to term
- 2 men arrested for endangering commercial aircraft
- Oversized load blamed for bridge collapse
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Iran hackers aiming at U.S. energy firms
- Lawyers release data in attempt to discredit Trayvon Martin
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Bridge collapse: Part of "aging infrastructure"
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Interstate 5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- UK Military: London attack victim was a "model soldier"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11