BOSTON (AP) — One of the nation’s oldest churches is considering selling a copy of the first book ever published in British North America.
Members of the Old South Church in Boston on Sunday are scheduled to vote on whether to sell one of their two copies of the Bay Psalm Book, published in 1640, along with a collection of Colonial-era silver. They say the sale could help pay for repairs and assure the financial future of the church, established in 1669.
A Sotheby’s executive calls the psalm book “the Gutenberg Bible of America,” and tells The Boston Globe (http://b.globe.com/U6abwf ) it could fetch $10 million to $20 million at auction.
The church’s lay leadership has mostly endorsed the idea.
But some are strongly opposed. Church historian Jeff Makholm says the sale is short-sighted and unnecessary.
Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.boston.com/globe
More Related Stories
- Fox's new reality TV show threatens regular people with unemployment
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Steamy lesbian-sex movie has Cannes abuzz
- Stop what you're doing and go watch "Borgen"
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Is the anti-gay backlash on?
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11