SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Yahoo has bought another Silicon Valley mobile startup as CEO Marissa Mayer tries to create more compelling products for smartphones and tablet computers.
Tuesday’s acquisition of OnTheAir follows Yahoo’s recent purchase of a mobile startup called Stamped. In both cases, Yahoo was drawn more by the engineering talent working at the startups than the services that they have been offering.
Yahoo Inc., which is based in Sunnyvale, Calif., didn’t disclose how much it paid for OnTheAir, which is based in San Francisco.
The service enables users to hold online video chats in a talk-show format. Yahoo didn’t say whether it intends to continue OnTheAir’s service.
Yahoo is in the process of closing Stamped’s service just six weeks after announcing that acquisition so the engineers picked up in that deal can focus on other projects. Five of the 11 Stamped employees used to work for Google Inc., where Mayer was a top executive before Yahoo lured her away to become its CEO in mid-July.
One of OnTheAir’s employees, Daniel Hopkins, also used to work at Google. The resumes of the four other OnTheAir workers being scooped up by Yahoo list stints at Apple Inc. and instant messaging service Meebo.
“Hiring the most talented mobile product thinkers and engineers is a big priority for us moving forward,” Adam Cahan, Yahoo’s senior vice president of emerging products and technology, said in a statement.
Mayer has said she believes half of Yahoo’s engineering talent must eventually consist of mobile computing specialists.
Yahoo’s stock gained 38 cents, or 2 percent, to close Tuesday at $18.93.
More Related Stories
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- UK Military: London attack victim was a "model soldier"
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
- "Bookless library" set to open in Texas
- 2 more arrested in London attacks
- Glenn Beck: CNN interview with atheist tornado survivor was a setup!
- Incoming BBC news director on journalism gender gap: "We can do better"
- Illegal construction, shoddy materials at fault in Bangladesh factory disaster
- Ahead of Obama's speech, U.S. acknowledges four American drone killings
- Must-see morning clip: Bill O'Reilly visits "The Daily Show"
- Lawsuit alleges anti-gay hiring practices at ExxonMobil
- Boy Scouts poised to vote, still greatly divided on gay youth
- House supporters of KXL received $56m from fossil fuel industry
- 80-year-old becomes oldest to climb Mount Everest
- Before FBI shooting man implicated self, Tsarnaev in triple murder
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- UK emergency committee convenes after attack
- Brave scout leader tried to reason with London attackers
- If Alex Pareene were a cable news executive...
- El Salvador court delays ruling on abortion case while woman's life hangs in the balance
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11