SEVILLE, Spain (AP) — Lionel Messi has broken German great Gerd Mueller’s 40-year-old record for most goals in a year by scoring for the 86th time in 2012.
The Argentine forward scored twice Sunday, putting Barcelona ahead of Real Betis 2-0 by the 25th minute of the Spanish league match.
His first goal was an individual effort in the 16th minute to equal Mueller’s record. He eclipsed the 1972 milestone with a familiar left-footed finish nine minutes later.
Messi has 74 goals for Barcelona and 12 for Argentina this year. Mueller scored 85 for Bayern Munich and West Germany.
Messi scored 73 times for Barcelona in the 2011-12 season, passing Mueller’s mark of 67 goals for Bayern Munich in 1972-73. He also established a Spanish league record of 50 goals last season.
Messi is a finalist for the FIFA’s world player of the year award.
More Related Stories
- First look: Joaquin Phoenix, Marion Cotillard shine in "The Immigrant”
- A brief history of Jennifer Weiner's literary fights
- No women allowed: Summer music festivals are dudefests, again
- Vivica A. Fox tapes anti-gun PSA in front of poster for her movie
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Mariah Carey's rambling, cursing, dress-popping "Good Morning America" concert
- Fox's new reality TV show threatens regular people with unemployment
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Steamy lesbian-sex movie has Cannes abuzz
- Stop what you're doing and go watch "Borgen"
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11