Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. US TRIES FOR A TRICKY BALANCE ON KOREA
Condemning the rocket launch too harshly risks rewarding the North, which seeks to leverage any global attention it gets into much-needed aid.
2. WHEN THE FED MIGHT RAISE INTEREST RATES
The central bank says rate will be kept near zero until U.S. unemployment falls to 6.5 percent, and provided inflation stays under control.
3. SYRIAN REGIME RAMPS UP ITS WEAPONRY
Scud missiles are being fired at insurgents trying to overthrow Assad, U.S. officials report.
4. WHY GUNMAN MIGHT HAVE ATTACKED SHOPPERS AT ORE. MALL
The random shooter feels “the whole world is unfair, someone has to pay, and it doesn’t matter who,” an expert says.
5. INTERN IN US SENATOR’S OFFICE ARRESTED
Peruvian, 18, accused of being in country illegally — and is a registered sex offender.
6. WHAT’S AT THE HEART OF THE CRISIS IN EGYPT
The crippling divide centers on whether the nation moves toward a theocracy or retains its secular traditions.
7. GUATEMALA EXPELS MCAFEE TO MIAMI
Arrival in U.S. marks new twist in anti-virus software founder’s escape from Belize.
8. A GALAXY SHOWS ITS AGE
Photos from the Hubble telescope confirm that a dim galaxy filled with blue stars is the oldest ever observed — at 13.2 billion years.
9. NOW HEAR THIS (IF YOU CAN)
A law limiting the volume of TV commercials takes effect Thursday.
10. DODGERS GO FOR BROKE
The team is on track to become only the second with a $200 million payroll — and could end the Yankees’ streak of 14 years as baseball’s biggest spender.
More Related Stories
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- UK Military: London attack victim was a "model soldier"
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
- "Bookless library" set to open in Texas
- 2 more arrested in London attacks
- Glenn Beck: CNN interview with atheist tornado survivor was a setup!
- Incoming BBC news director on journalism gender gap: "We can do better"
- Illegal construction, shoddy materials at fault in Bangladesh factory disaster
- Ahead of Obama's speech, U.S. acknowledges four American drone killings
- Must-see morning clip: Bill O'Reilly visits "The Daily Show"
- Lawsuit alleges anti-gay hiring practices at ExxonMobil
- Boy Scouts poised to vote, still greatly divided on gay youth
- House supporters of KXL received $56m from fossil fuel industry
- 80-year-old becomes oldest to climb Mount Everest
- Before FBI shooting man implicated self, Tsarnaev in triple murder
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- UK emergency committee convenes after attack
- Brave scout leader tried to reason with London attackers
- If Alex Pareene were a cable news executive...
- El Salvador court delays ruling on abortion case while woman's life hangs in the balance
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Lisa Montgomery embraces her nephew Thursday after a tornado tore apart her home in Cleburne, Texas. The twister killed six people and destroyed entire swaths of the North Texas town.
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Jack McMahon, the defense attorney for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, speaks outside the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia Tuesday. His client was convicted of killing three babies in his clinic, and will serve multiple life sentences.
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
A photo taken Monday captures Vice President Joe Biden's response to a Milwaukee second-grader's innovative proposal to end America's epidemic of gun violence. This guy!
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., flanked by a grouper-eyed Michele Bachmann, addresses the IRS' admission that it targeted Tea Party groups in advance of the 2012 election. In an op-ed for CNN Thursday, the Kentucky senator slammed the president for his faux outrage.
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Ousted IRS chief Steven Miller is sworn in on Capitol Hill Friday. Miller testified before the House Ways and Means Committee on the extra scrutiny the agency gave conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Attorney General Eric Holder pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday. Holder is under fire, among other things, for the Justice Department's gathering of phone records at the Associated Press.
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
O.J. Simpson sits during an evidentiary hearing at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday. Simpson, who is currently serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in state prison for armed robbery and kidnapping, is using a writ of habeas corpus to seek a new trial.
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Major Tom to ground control: On Sunday astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded the first music video from space, a cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
When it rains it pours. President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference Thursday with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inexplicably inspiring an #umbrellagate Twitter meme.
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
A smoke plume rises high above a road block at the intersection of County A and Ross Road east of Solon Springs, Wis., Tuesday. No injuries were reported, but the the wildfire caused evacuations across northwestern Wisconsin.
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11