Carolyn Kellogg covers books for the Los Angeles Times and writes its Jacket Copy blog.
Carolyn’s top 10 list, with more detail in the Los Angeles Times here:
1. “Telegraph Avenue” by Michael Chabon
2. “Near to the Wild at Heart” by Clarice Lispector (new translation)
3. “People Who Eat Darkness” by Richard Lloyd Parry
4. “Suddenly, a Knock on the Door” by Etgar Keret
5. “The Guardians: An Elegy” by Sarah Manguso
6. “HHhH” by Laurent Binet
7. “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” by Ben Fountain
8. “Familiar” by J. Robert Lennon
9. “Lives of the Novelists” by John Sutherland
10. “Where’d You Go, Bernadette” by Maria Semple
1. Explain why your No. 1 book was your favorite title of the year: “Telegraph Avenue’s” sentences ring with pure joy.
2. What was the strongest debut book of 2012? “The Festival of Earthly Delights” by Matt Dojny.
3. What book sits outside your list, but has either been overlooked or deserves more attention? “Desert America” by Reuben Martinez.
4. Was there one book, either on your list or off your list, fiction or nonfiction, that seems to best encapsulate America in 2012? “A Hologram for the King” by Dave Eggers.
5. What was the single most memorable character from a 2012 book? Jerzy in Bruce Wagner’s “Dead Stars.”
6. What is the book from 2012, either from your list or not, fiction or nonfiction, that is most likely to join the canon, or still be discussed 20 years from now? “The Passage of Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson” by Robert Caro.
More Related Stories
- Stop what you're doing and go watch "Borgen"
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Is the anti-gay backlash on?
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11