"It does appear it was a trap," Police Chief Gerald Pickering said of the fire VIDEO
According to local officials, the two firefighters who were shot and killed while responding to a fire in West New York were the victims of a “trap,” the AP reports.
Local officials say the shooter was found dead at the scene, but did not say how he was killed.
From the AP:
The gunman fired at the firefighters when they arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m. at the blaze near the Lake Ontario shore in Webster, town Police Chief Gerald Pickering said. The first Webster police officer who arrived chased the suspect and exchanged gunfire with him, authorities said.
“It does appear it was a trap” for the first responders to the fire, Pickering said at a news conference.
“These people get up in the middle of the night to go put out fires; they don’t expect to be shot and killed,” Pickering said.
Here’s raw video footage of the fire, via the AP:
Jillian Rayfield is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on politics. Follow her on Twitter at @jillrayfield or email her at email@example.com. More Jillian Rayfield.
More Related Stories
- My text blew up in my face
- Stop what you're doing and go watch "Borgen"
- There's no substitute for government disaster relief
- Holder signed off on search warrant for reporter
- Boy Scouts end ban on openly gay boys
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- UK Military: London attack victim was a "model soldier"
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- Closing Gitmo is not enough
- Murkowski: Palin too disengaged to run for Senate
- "Bookless library" set to open in Texas
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- In IRS scandal, new GOP tactic is ignorance
- Twitter beefs up security measures
- Code Pink activist berates Obama at national security speech
- Man arrested for sending Craigslist sex party to neighbor's house
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11