NEW YORK (AP) — Actor Matthew McConaughey credits his growing family for the success that 2012 brought him.
“One, they ground you. Two, when you have that kind of structure at home and you feel stable at home it makes it much easier to fly higher and wider when you’re outside of home,” McConaughey said Monday at the New York Film Critics Circle Awards.
The 43-year-old received the best supporting actor honor for “Magic Mike” and “Bernie.” He garnered critical success in 2012 for “Mud” and “The Paperboy,” both shown in competition at the Cannes Film Festival.
“Got a great family that loves what I do, they’re happy for papa when papa is happy. Papa is happy when he’s working, and they like it when papa goes to work,” he said of his busy year.
“Things that I’ve been working on came to fruition personally, workwise, healthwise. And we just decided to embrace it all — myself, my family — decided to embrace it all,” he said. “Even when it was work that I was doing that my family wasn’t necessarily doing. My family was pushing me to go, ‘Go get it on. Do it. We’re right behind you. We got it.’”
McConaughey married long-time girlfriend Camila Alves in June. He announced last month on his Whosay page that Alves had given birth to their third child, Livingston, on Dec. 28.
“Livingston had a lot to say this morning,” he joked. “He had a mouthful of milk. That’s what he had.”
McConaughey said his older children, 4-year-old son, Levi, and 3-year-old daughter, Vida, were excited about the NYFCC award, but even more excited about his return home in Texas.
“They’re like, ‘Get the trophy and come back home,’” he said. “I said, ‘I’m coming back home.’”
Follow Nicole Evatt on Twitter at http://twitter.com/NicoleEvatt
More Related Stories
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Is the anti-gay backlash on?
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
- The camp-free "Behind the Candelabra"
- Justin Bieber will destroy you if you live-tweet his parties
- Marc Maron on Twitter feud with Michael Ian Black: "We have an understanding"
- "Girls Gone Wild" creator Joe Francis to jury: "You should be euthanized"
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11