Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. ARMSTRONG FINALLY COMES CLEAN
The disgraced celebrity cyclist confesses to doping during his extraordinary career that included seven Tour de France titles.
2. OBAMA: ‘EXAMINE YOUR CONSCIENCE’ ON GUNS
The president concedes a tough fight ahead on his proposals to ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.
3. NY POISED TO PASS FIRST GUN BILL AFTER NEWTOWN MASSACRE
The bill would toughen the state’s assault weapons ban and would allow therapists to report patients who make threats to use guns.
4. FRANCE PREPARES FOR POSSIBLE LAND ASSAULT
A convoy of armed trucks moved into Mali from the Ivory Coast after an all-night bombing campaign on an Islamist-controlled town.
5. CONGRESS SQUARES OFF OVER SANDY AID
Tuesday’s vote over $50.7 billion in funding has critics who want to trim spending for projects unrelated to the superstorm.
6. COCA-COLA TAKES ON OBESITY
The world’s No. 1 beverage company will air a two-minute ad suggesting weight gain is more about how much you eat than what you eat.
7. THE MYSTERY OF NATALIE WOOD’S DEATH
An amended autopsy report says bruises on the actress may have been inflicted before she drowned in California more than 30 years ago.
8. CLARENCE THOMAS’ FIRST WORDS IN SEVEN YEARS
The Supreme Court justice, who hasn’t asked a question in court since February 2006, made a joke about Ivy League lawyers.
8. WHAT’S BEHIND VENEZUELA’S FOOD SHORTAGE
Residents blame price and currency controls; authorities say business owners are hoarding staples like chicken, oil, sugar and coffee.
9. WHERE’S JIMMY HOFFA?
A reputed Mafia captain says the Teamsters boss missing since the 1970s is buried in suburban Detroit.
More Related Stories
- Oversized load blamed for bridge collapse
- This is what Guy Fieri looks like as a balloon
- Iran hackers aiming at U.S. energy firms
- Lawyers release data in attempt to discredit Trayvon Martin
- Anonymous rallies behind Kaitlyn Hunt
- Bridge collapse: Part of "aging infrastructure"
- Mistrial in penalty phase of Arias case
- Amanda Bynes arrested after hurling bong from window
- Interstate 5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- UK Military: London attack victim was a "model soldier"
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
- "Bookless library" set to open in Texas
- 2 more arrested in London attacks
- Glenn Beck: CNN interview with atheist tornado survivor was a setup!
- Incoming BBC news director on journalism gender gap: "We can do better"
- Illegal construction, shoddy materials at fault in Bangladesh factory disaster
- Ahead of Obama's speech, U.S. acknowledges four American drone killings
- Must-see morning clip: Bill O'Reilly visits "The Daily Show"
- Lawsuit alleges anti-gay hiring practices at ExxonMobil
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11