Sentence delayed in Salvadoran’s immigration case

Topics: From the Wires,

BOSTON (AP) — Human rights advocates claimed a victory Tuesday after a federal judge in Boston said he would consider a former El Salvadoran military colonel’s alleged war crimes before sentencing him on separate immigration charges.

Inocente Orlando Montano is among 20 people that authorities in Spain indicted in 2011 following the 1989 slayings of six priests during El Salvador’s 12-year civil war. He has denied involvement in the killings.

“The takeaway from today is Montano was before a judge who really wants to look at his human rights record,” said attorney Carolyn Patty Blum from the Center for Justice and Accountability.

She called Tuesday “an incredible victory for human rights,” saying it’s the first time Montano’s alleged role in the slayings will be aired in court. Her organization is leading the prosecution in Spain of what’s called the Jesuit massacre.

In delaying Montano’s sentencing, U.S. District Judge Douglas Woodlock said he might depart from sentencing guidelines when deciding a penalty. The defendant previously pleaded guilty to three counts of immigration fraud and three counts of perjury.

“My view is that, if proved, the allegations concerning Mr. Montano’s acts with the military are matters that would cause me to consider an upward departure or variance,” the judge said.

The government claims Montano lied about his past on U.S. immigration forms, including denying having military training when applying for temporary protected status as a foreign national, in part to avoid prosecution in El Salvador.

Prosecutors want the judge to consider a Stanford University political science professor’s report that claims troops under Montano’s command carried out 65 killings, 51 disappearances and 520 cases of torture, among abuses.

Blum’s organization also submitted letters from alleged victims of human rights abuses reportedly perpetrated by troops under Montano.

He served as El Salvador’s vice minister of defense for public security during a 30-year career as an elite member of the El Salvador Armed Forces.

A 1993 United Nations report found evidence Montano colluded with other Salvadoran military officials to murder a priest suspected of supporting leftist rebels, an order that allegedly resulted in the slayings of six priests and two other people at a Jesuit university.

Assistant U.S. Attorney John Capin said Tuesday the government isn’t looking to prove allegations related to crimes in El Salvador, but rather to show that Montano came to the U.S. to escape potentially having to stand trial for them.

But federal defender Oscar Cruz Jr. said the government violated his client’s plea agreement by asking the judge to consider a stricter sentence of about four years in prison based on allegations unrelated to the immigration case.

Cruz argued in court papers that the government’s submission of the Stanford professor’s report that paints his client “as a war criminal of epic proportions” is highly inflammatory.

Cruz said after court that he expects future testimony related to the Stanford professor’s report, something he plans to challenge during a cross-exam.

Walking with a cane, Montano declined to comment while leaving court Tuesday. His next court date is expected to be in March.

The U.S. government has not indicated whether it would extradite Montano to Spain. He is in his 70s and was living near Boston for about a decade when authorities arrested him in 2011.

The Rev. Donald MacMillan, a Jesuit priest who works in Boston College campus ministry, said after Tuesday’s court proceeding that he was looking for justice and peace for the families of the Jesuits slain in El Salvador.

“The Jesuit community would like to see justice served, and truth be told, and reconciliation take place for the Jesuit community, for the people involved, for the El Salvador community,” MacMillan said.

The priest said Montano’s sentencing on immigration charges would be a step toward justice, and he hoped Montano would face extradition to Spain.

Next Article

Related Stories

Featured Slide Shows

The week in 10 pics

close X
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11
  • This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
    Reuters/Jason Reed

  • Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
    AP/A.M. Ahad

  • Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
    AP/Elise Amendola

  • Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
    AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani

  • Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
    AP/Manish Swarup

  • Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
    AP/Jeff Roberson

  • Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
    AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel

  • Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
    AP/Liu Yinghua

  • On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
    AP/Rogelio V. Solis

  • The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
    AP/David J. Phillip

  • Recent Slide Shows

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11

Comments

0 Comments

Comment Preview

Your name will appear as username

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href=""> <b> <em> <strong> <i> <blockquote>