Chanel's veteran couturier sent two brides down the catwalk in support of France's gay marriage bill
PARIS (AP) — Chanel’s veteran couturier Karl Lagerfeld has used fashion to support a controversial French gay marriage law — sending two brides together down the catwalk.
Two models donned couture bridal gowns to cap Paris’ Grand Palais fashion show, accompanied by Lagerfeld’s young nephew.
“I don’t even understand the debate. Since 1904 (in France) the church and state have been separate,” Lagerfeld said after Tuesday’s show.
The German-born designer also hit out against the “intolerance” of religion.
“If (those against) want a sacred religious union, (they can) in the church, temple, cathedral, synagogue or mosque.”
However, Lagerfeld said he was opposed to gay couples being allowed to adopt children.
French President François Hollande is meeting with opponents of the proposed law on Friday.
More Related Stories
- My text blew up in my face
- Boy Scouts end ban on openly gay boys
- Mississippi could begin prosecuting women for miscarriages
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Billionaire hedge funder: Babies, breast-feeding "kill" focus, keep women from succeeding
- "Bookless library" set to open in Texas
- Man arrested for sending Craigslist sex party to neighbor's house
- Greek yogurt, toxic waste hazard?
- Glenn Beck: CNN interview with atheist tornado survivor was a setup!
- Incoming BBC news director on journalism gender gap: "We can do better"
- Illegal construction, shoddy materials at fault in Bangladesh factory disaster
- Pope Francis: Atheists are all right!
- Lawsuit alleges anti-gay hiring practices at ExxonMobil
- Boy Scouts poised to vote, still greatly divided on gay youth
- Is recreational pot use safe?
- How I ended up in a pyramid scheme
- My bipolar partner beat me
- Teenagers care more about online privacy than you think
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- El Salvador court delays ruling on abortion case while woman's life hangs in the balance
- Kicked out of the mall -- for an anti-cancer hat
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11