GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (AP) — Former South Vietnamese general Khanh Nguyen (KAHN WIHN), who briefly gained control of the government in a coup and went on to lead a “government in exile” in California, has died.
Nguyen’s successor Chanh Nguyen Huu (CHAHN WIHN HOO) says the former general died Jan. 11 at a San Jose hospital after struggling with diabetes. He was 86.
In 1960, Nguyen helped stop a coup against U.S.-backed president Ngo Dinh Diem (NOH DIHN DEE’-em) when he mistook rebels for Viet Cong soldiers and rushed to the president’s defense.
South Vietnamese generals overthrew Diem’s regime three years later and started a period of political turmoil.
Nguyen himself took over the government in a 1964 coup, but left Vietnam the following year when other generals forced him out.
He lived in France for years before settling in California in 1977.
More Related Stories
- Here come the tornado truthers. Already
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Moore officials: Funds for "safe rooms" were held up by red tape
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Rescue crews race to find tornado survivors
- Looting in Oklahoma?
- Hundreds of low-wage federally contracted workers strike in D.C.
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Watch: Family emerges from storm shelter after tornado
- Must-see morning clip: Barackalypse Now
- Okla. tornado survivor reunited with dog trapped in rubble live on camera
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Oklahoma death count confirmed at 24, 9 children
- Frantic parents search for children in tornado's wake
- Crews dig through rubble after deadly tornado
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11