NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans Saints fans are celebrating the return of coach Sean Payton from his suspension following last year’s “bountygate” scandal.
But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who will present the NFL championship trophy when the Super Bowl is played in New Orleans on Feb. 3, is getting a less-than-warm welcome in some quarters.
Some hold a grudge over the suspension of Payton and key players and coaches. Signs saying Goodell won’t be served are posted at some bars and eateries. And Goodell’s image adorns the dart board at one lounge.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu is among city leaders reminding residents to mind their manners. Landrieu says Goodell played a big part in keeping the Saints in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, and in bringing the Super Bowl back to the city.
More Related Stories
- Here come the tornado truthers. Already
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Moore officials: Funds for "safe rooms" were held up by red tape
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Rescue crews race to find tornado survivors
- Looting in Oklahoma?
- Hundreds of low-wage federally contracted workers strike in D.C.
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Watch: Family emerges from storm shelter after tornado
- Must-see morning clip: Barackalypse Now
- Okla. tornado survivor reunited with dog trapped in rubble live on camera
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Oklahoma death count confirmed at 24, 9 children
- Frantic parents search for children in tornado's wake
- Crews dig through rubble after deadly tornado
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11