NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Louisiana State Police say two St. Mary Parish sheriff’s deputies are out of critical condition, and the man accused of shooting them and killing two other people has been booked with arson and two counts each of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
Trooper Stephen Hammons says 48-year-old Wilbert Thibodeaux (TIB-uh-doh) of Charenton (SHEHR-uhn-tuhn) is being held without bond in the Iberia Parish jail.
Hammons says the body of 78-year-old Eddie Lyons of Charenton was found in a mobile home that had been set on fire Saturday before someone told police that an armed man was walking down a street near the Chitimacha (chit-ih-MAH-chuh) tribal casino.
Thibodaux is accused of shooting Lyons, then a tribal police officer and two deputies who answered the report.
Hammons says the officers’ names will be released Monday.
More Related Stories
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
- Record tornado devastates Oklahoma
- Limbaugh: No one willing to impeach the first black president
- Tornado reduces Oklahoma City suburb to rubble
- AP: Toll at least 37 dead in Okla. tornado
- Entire Midwest on tornado warning
- Oregon senator proposes appeal to Monsanto Protection Act
- Supreme Court to rule on prayer at government meetings
- Beltway scandal machine breaks, knows nothing about America
- Gitmo hunger striker launches Twitter campaign
- "Hero" cop, honored by Obama, accused of double rape
- Father of gay high school student arrested for dating classmate speaks out
- Pentagon adviser pushed Anthrax drug, which his firm produced
- Conservatives A-OK with closeted Boy Scouts
- The new geography of poverty
- Promotion for NYPD cop who cost city $1.5m in settlements
- Obama to all-male university graduates: Be the best husband to "your boyfriend or partner"
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- GOP attorney general candidate tried to force women to report miscarriages to police
- Chinese hackers resume attacks against U.S.
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11