Salon limerick contest
This week, Salon's reader-poets get kind of meta
Salon’s readers write poems on Republicans, the inauguration and poetry contests.
On His Blindness — Not (Yet) Winning the Limerick Contest
This contest has got me bewitched.
I’ve not won so now I’m fermisht*.
My meter’s on time
my subject’s just fine.
I’m thinking, “Is this contest fixed”?
To publish I’ll reach for the bait.
To win I must open their gate.
Do they read every poem
or just ones from the known,
or must I just “stand (there) and wait”?
*Yiddish: Mixed up in the head, a little crazy, overwhelmed, disorganized.
Potter Valley, Mendocino County, Calif.
Although your new limerick contest is thrillin’,
my brain appears not to be willin’
when every new verse
than the last one is worse.
Perhaps you should just call Calvin Trillin.
A president chose to come clean
In a red white and very blue scene,
And the subtext was this:
Here’s my rear for a kiss,
GOP, if you think I’m still green.
Red Hook, N.Y.
Some red states want rules remade
the next time elections are played
I say, where’s the need?
Just go and secede
then call to request foreign aid.
Send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name and hometown. The deadline is Friday at noon eastern and we’ll publish our favorites on Sunday. Poems may be edited for clarity or scansion. Good luck!
Alex Halperin is news editor at Salon. You can follow him on Twitter @alexhalperin.More Alex Halperin.
More Related Stories
- Piper is a "lone wolf" in "Orange is the New Black" Season 2
- 9 ways Coachella is like hell
- "X-Men" director Bryan Singer accused of sexually abusing teenage boy in 1999
- "The Americans" recap: Defenses go down
- How to stop the Internet from ruining "Game of Thrones" for you
- Is reading antisocial?
- Sorry guys! New study says you may want to rethink your beard
- NBC's "Parenthood" should loosen up its family values
- Glenn Beck: "I feel like I'm wasting my life"
- Kathie Lee Gifford is a Trojan horse for conservatism
- What's hot at Tribeca: James Franco, Joss Whedon, eco-terror
- Maya Rudolph's 11 most memorable TV moments
- Exclusive: Sheryl Sandberg's life in comic book form
- "No Country for Old Fargo": The story behind FX's new adaptation of the classic movie
- Colbert's move to "The Late Show" is about to claim its biggest victim
- Hollywood can't handle rape
- Irvine Welsh: You know when a writer's a drug user
- How to deal with jerks (and worse)
- FX's "Fargo" is a knock-off that's almost as good as the original
- The most gripping mystery you'll read all year is about sheep
- Innovative sounds: Afghan Whigs come rocking back after 16 year absence
Featured Slide Shows
- 1 of 11
Kim Leeson/George W. Bush Presidential Center via Flickr
Recent Slide Shows
- The best and worst series finale music of all time
- Stories from a Warming Planet: Wildfires
- Seven celebrity "authors" who didn't do it alone
- They're no "Divergent": Eight young-adult movie franchises that died untimely deaths
- Space porn: These images are (quite literally) out of this world
- Gridlock in Atlanta
- The 7 most awkward family holiday photos of all time
- Red List 2013