CLEVELAND (AP) — A person with knowledge of the situation says the Cleveland Cavaliers are exploring the possibility of signing center Greg Oden, the former No. 1 overall pick whose NBA career has been sabotaged by injuries.
The Cavs are doing their due diligence while looking at Oden, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team’s interest is contingent upon the center’s health.
CBSSports.com first reported the Cavs and Miami Heat were pursuing Oden, who hasn’t played since 2009.
Oden has undergone three major knee surgeries. While attending Ohio State’s game against Wisconsin on Tuesday night Oden said he hopes to play next season.
The 7-footer was the first player taken in the 2007 draft by Portland. He has averaged 9.2 points and 7.3 rebounds in 82 career games.
More Related Stories
- Here come the tornado truthers. Already
- Peace Corps to allow gay couples to volunteer together
- Moore officials: Funds for "safe rooms" were held up by red tape
- Rand Paul: Congress should apologize to Apple, not the other way around
- Rescue crews race to find tornado survivors
- Looting in Oklahoma?
- Hundreds of low-wage federally contracted workers strike in D.C.
- Okla. mother's tearful reunion with her 8-year-old son
- New campaign compares gun control to anti-LGBT discrimination
- Study: Salt Lake City is gay parenting capital of the U.S.
- Inhofe and Coburn: Red state hypocrites
- Teen activist to meet with Abercrombie CEO
- Watch: Family emerges from storm shelter after tornado
- Must-see morning clip: Barackalypse Now
- Okla. tornado survivor reunited with dog trapped in rubble live on camera
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Oklahoma death count confirmed at 24, 9 children
- Frantic parents search for children in tornado's wake
- Crews dig through rubble after deadly tornado
- 51 killed in massive Oklahoma tornado
- Don't cry climate-change wolf
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11