Could “Downton” ever be spoiler-free?

As "Downton" airs its third season months behind the U.K. broadcast, PBS considers other options

Topics: PBS, Downton Abbey, jeremy piven, mr selfridge, lady sybil, paula kerger, masterpiece,

Could (Credit: Masterpiece/Giles Keyte)

While other networks were in reruns to avoid a collision with the Ravens, the 49ers and Beyoncé, PBS had yet another triumph on Super Bowl Sunday. “Downton Abbey,” in its third season, averaged 6.6 million viewers Sunday night, up 69 percent from its performance the year before. And, as is typical for “Downton,” it wasn’t just older longtime “Masterpiece” lovers tuning in: A tweet the network sent out urging bored football fans to tune away from a blacked-out Superdome got over 3,500 retweets.

“Our social media guys were on the stick during the blackout,” said Paula Kerger, the president of PBS. Comparing “humble little PBS” to other brands who used the New Orleans blackout to get brand awareness, she noted: “It was Oreo, Tide, and PBS!”

And yet questions exist about whether or not PBS is capitalizing as well as it might on newfound attention to its programming. At the center is the transatlantic broadcast lag of “Downton Abbey.” The recent death of central character Lady Sybil was spoiled for some viewers by news reports and recaps from the U.K., where the character died on ITV last October; other viewers pirated the series long before its U.S. airing.

“It’s complicated for a lot of reasons. If you ran it at same time as [it runs in the U.K.], you’re running it at the same time as premieres,” said Kerger. “Why put your best stuff against everybody else? We’re showcasing it in as strong a position as we can. We don’t have a huge ad budget. When people write about us, it helps us tremendously, we rely very heavily on earned media and the kindness of strangers.” To hold the show until it can air in the doldrums of midwinter — as it has the past two years, and likely will for the already-greenlighted Season 4, is to ensure that it doesn’t have to cede the spotlight quite as much.

At the very least, PBS doesn’t believe spoilers hurt the show. “I know there is a perception that the spoilers are floating around, but it doesn’t seem to affect the numbers,” said Kerger.

“Masterpiece” executive producer Rebecca Eaton reiterated that a September or October premiere would mean greater challenges for the Crawleys, and noted: “We’re well aware it airs months before in England and the world is shrinking. The pirating, the spoilers, are not affecting the audience, though it’s hard to prove a negative.”

“Maybe there will start to be spoiler restraint,” she mused.

No decision has been made as to when Season 4 will be aired, though Kerger noted that the network had experimented with running U.K. miniseries “Call the Midwife” very close to its British airing, and “it didn’t do so well.”

The reason for the U.K./U.S. divide in the first place is that “Masterpiece” works through co-productions with production companies, rather than producing its programming in-house, which makes such questions moot. Citing a precedent, Kerger noted that original productions based on Tony Hillerman’s mysteries had been expensive: “It’s something that interests me, but it’s not something we are actively working on.”

Eaton notes that the success of “Downton” has opened the network up to more potential producing partners, at home and abroad. “Any time you have a hit, your phone starts ringing more often, and your email starts pinging more often.”

What, besides “Downton,” might do particularly well for PBS? (Asked how long she hoped “Downton” would run, Eaton said it was largely up to creator Julian Fellowes but noted, “Forever would not be too long.”) Kerger noted the shift of History away from history, strictly defined (the network aired its first scripted miniseries last year) and the travails of arts channel Ovation: “There’s a whole area for us that’s wide open.”

That includes increasing the amount of scripted drama, including an upcoming miniseries starring Jeremy Piven as a London department store magnate, “Mr Selfridge.” In the U.K., it’s already about halfway through its run.

Daniel D'Addario is a staff reporter for Salon's entertainment section. Follow him on Twitter @DPD_

Next Article

Related Stories

Featured Slide Shows

The week in 10 pics

close X
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11
  • This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
    Reuters/Jason Reed

  • Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
    AP/A.M. Ahad

  • Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
    AP/Elise Amendola

  • Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
    AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani

  • Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
    AP/Manish Swarup

  • Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
    AP/Jeff Roberson

  • Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
    AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel

  • Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
    AP/Liu Yinghua

  • On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
    AP/Rogelio V. Solis

  • The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
    AP/David J. Phillip

  • Recent Slide Shows

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11

Comments

11 Comments

Comment Preview

Your name will appear as username

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href=""> <b> <em> <strong> <i> <blockquote>