Update: a source tells Deadline that Disney is still "kicking around ideas" about the movies
Disney has been teasing us for months now. First, the company worried loyal “Star Wars” fans by announcing a new trilogy back in 2012. After everyone begrudgingly accepted the idea, Disney actually got us excited about it, naming the legendary J.J. Abrams director. Then, everyone got upset again when yesterday Disney CEO Bob Iger announced a stand-alone character spinoff series. (Rumors suggested the first one might be about Yoda.).Today, people are excited again: Entertainment Weekly reports that the first two spinoff films will follow a young Han Solo and another will tell the tale of mysterious bounty hunter, Boba Fett.
Entertainment Weekly reports on the Han Solo project:
The Han Solo story would take place in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and the first Star Wars (now known as A New Hope), so although it’s possible Harrison Ford could appear as a framing device, the movie would require a new actor for the lead — one presumably much younger than even the 35-year-old Ford when he appeared in the 1977 original.
And cult-fan favorite Boba Fett:
The Boba Fett film would take place either between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, or between Empire and Jedi, where the bounty hunter was last seen plunging unceremoniously into a sarlacc pit.
Given the setting of both films, it’s likely that the villainous Darth Vader, the gambler Lando Calrissian and the slimy Jabba the Hut will return to the big screen. But the deal is still in its early stages: Directors and actors have not been named, and sources told EW that the direction of the projects could still change.
But if all goes as planned, then maybe this will be the push Ben & Jerry’s needs to finally make a Boba Fett/Han Solo-themed ice cream flavor.
Update: A source has told Deadline that the Han Solo and Boba Fett movies aren’t set in stone: “Nobody knows when these movies are even coming out. Right now, people are just kicking around ideas. Which is why you hear it’s Yoda one day and a young Han Solo another. It’s all in early development right now.”
Prachi Gupta is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on pop culture. Follow her on Twitter at @prachigu or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. More Prachi Gupta.
More Related Stories
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
- Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac" to use porn star body doubles
- New Beyoncé single leaked
- The sweet, sure to be short-lived "The Goodwin Games"
- Damon Lindelof admits barely-clothed scene in "Star Trek" was "gratuitous"
- Justin Timberlake: I'm a mediocre folk singer!
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies at 74
- Beware of book blurbs
- Did a Salon excerpt ruin Penn Jillette's chance to win "Celebrity Apprentice"?
- Zach Galifianakis to take formerly homeless woman to "Hangover 3" premiere
- Seth MacFarlane will not host Oscars again
- "SNL's" uncomfortable Garner/Affleck moment
- "Celebrity Apprentice" finale ratings hit a new low
- Worst National Anthem fails
- The truth in Kanye's anti-prison rap
- Stephen Colbert to UVA: "You must always make the path for yourself"
- "Game of Thrones," season 3, episode 8: A salon
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11